Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,522   Online: 858

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xtype View Post
    have you tried out ruscombe paper mills Buxton or Talbot paper in 240 gram weight?
    Waaay too expensive for my budget, especially for printing large. And I'm not crazy about the Buxton surface. But yes, I've tried it.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Kerik,

Thanks for the reply. One more question. How does the color/tone compare with cranes ercu? I have one project that I would like to do on the ecru paper, but it is much too thin to use over 8x10.

Allen

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Kerik,
    As always, thanks for your insight!
    Best,
    Rory

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been testing the paper also and Kerik is on target with his comments. The paper dries nice and easy and flattens beautifully. It clears very quickly and that is a nice feature in platinum and Ziatype both.

One nice surprise came when I was testing the first batch. The friend who got it for me (Richard Prehn, Zxorb) thought it was a digital printing paper specifically designed for inkjet printing of scans of platinum prints. So... I bit the bullet and scanned and printed some of my pt/pd and Ziatypes using the Epson 2400 and both color as well as monochrome inksets. Very nice results. A number who viewed these side by side with the pt/pd originals had a hard time telling them apart. It appears the paper will serve a dual purpose. The pt/pd originals can be matched well with digital prints. Nice and clean and sure cuts down on having to stock so many papers when you are printing with both methods.

The surface is clean and smooth and does show detail well. I was worried about it being lighter in weight than I am used to but have had no tearing or deforming during wet handling. I left a few prints in the rinse overnight and still had no troubles, though it isn't recommended.

All in all a really nice paper and one I will work with.

John is also a good guy and listens to feedback and does respond by following up on it. It is nice to deal with a guy who does what he says and becomes a partner in the process rather than just a supplier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Allen,

I don't have any ecru on hand to compare, but from memory I think you'll find this in the ballpark.

Also, Dan is right. John is a good guy who's been in the paper business a loooooong time and is excited that there's a niche for this paper that he didn't know existed.

Anybody want to test it with cyanotype? If so, call John and he'd be happy to send samples.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info Kerik. That print you posted was baffling me forever, then I got it I think...that's a wet plate negative printed in Pt? Gorgeous!
    "If I only had a brain"-Some badly dressed guy made of straw in some movie I think I saw

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Waaay too expensive for my budget, especially for printing large. And I'm not crazy about the Buxton surface. But yes, I've tried it.
    yes - the surface would be my criticism of Buxton/Talbot as it is quite textured - the cost is down to the shipping from France.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Kerik & Clay. Always good to hear a detailed evaluation by two true masters of the field. I WILL do cyanotypes!

Russ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just curious - what is the watermark situation with this paper?

Several months ago, my wife and I visited the Cranes Museum in Dalton, MA. After watching the videos, they gave us a couple of sample pads of writing paper - as far as I can tell, the same stuff known in the Pt/Pd world as 32# "kid finish pearl". I've been using it to do 4x5 contact prints, but it has a watermark that seems to always get in the way of the image.
    Louie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know if it's watermarked, but I don't think so. The samples I was given for testing were 11x14 and had no watermarks. I've not yet received the parent sheets.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin