Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,842   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Underwater Pinhole camera

Hi everyone,
    I'm new in APUG, and in Pinhole photography.
    I've made a couple of cameras that worked pretty well, and now I wanted to make a new one.
    The thing is that I want this new camera to take underwater photos. Has anyone try that? I don't know how the water will affect the exposure times, and everything.
    I' seen a picture by Justin Quinnell (http://www.pinholephotography.org/)
    called "Duck and foot" made with a drink can camera so I believe it is possible. I'll appreciate any help.
    I'll begin my first attempt soon. I'll tell you later about the results.
    Bye.

Pedro.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Pedro. You'll love it here. I don't post very often, but I read most everything. There are so many good ideas being thought about by many good minds. It always gives you something to think about during the day. Like underwater pinholes. What a perfectly marvelous idea!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Pedro

I have never done underwater pinhole, but I have done both pinhole stuff and underwater stuff. A few thoughts......

Pinhole exposures are long, moving water makes most things underwater move, this is a bad combination. You will need to hold the camera steady, which means on the bottom, and you will probably want a subject which is on the bottom.

One photo that I got once underwater which was interesting, and something similar might be possible with a pinhole....

Set up your pinhole as a wide angle - then put the camera on the bottom, pointing up for the exposure. If the water is calm, the center circle of the image will be looking up at the sky and you will see things on the shore - outside a certain angle the light from outside is reflected completely, and what you see is a reflection of the bottom - so the result is an image with a circle in the middle with sky and some shore features, and around the outside, detail of the ocean bottom. Trick is to find a combination of very still water and very shallow.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey Pedro, I was there when he took that shot. The water was the wash tank for prints in the now long gone South Bristol College college darkroom. Justin is a member here.

John
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Brewer View Post
    Hey Pedro, I was there when he took that shot. The water was the wash tank for prints in the now long gone South Bristol College college darkroom. Justin is a member here.

John
    That's a great photo!
    When I was invited to Brazil for summer holydays (I'm from Argentina. It's spring time here, now), I remembered it and thought about how great it would be to be able to take pinhole pictures under the sea.
    How did he make the camera waterproof? What was it made of?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The camera was a drinks can (hence the distortion) and Justin filled it up with water with the film in it. I think is was a fifteen minute expose in cold water which explains the colour of his foot! Do e-mail him, his email address is on his home page, he is very approachable and a huge font of pinhole knowledge.

J
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Brewer View Post
    The camera was a drinks can (hence the distortion) and Justin filled it up with water with the film in it. I think is was a fifteen minute expose in cold water which explains the colour of his foot! Do e-mail him, his email address is on his home page, he is very approachable and a huge font of pinhole knowledge.

J
    Thnx! I will e-mail him.
    P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Pedro.

A few years back our local arts school featured a chap who used a home made under water pinhole camera to take some great shots off the coast of B.C
    His work was done from a kayak and what made it really unique was that he developed his film On Board. You got it.Had a mini processing unit built into the deck of his kayak. Fascinating stuff!
    I will call the gallery today and get his name.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    see Eric Renner's book... he used a one gallon jar. Spray painted interior black then scraped the paint off a small area (the size of a pencil eraser) and placed a brass sheet with a pinhole in it over that spot.

Russ

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Young View Post
    see Eric Renner's book... he used a one gallon jar. Spray painted interior black then scraped the paint off a small area (the size of a pencil eraser) and placed a brass sheet with a pinhole in it over that spot.

Russ
    That's a great idea! I'll try that. What worries me most is the exposure time. I guess that the opacity of the sea water will make it longer. I'll have to try over and over again. I'm looking for information on the web for charts or something that helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin