Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,387   Online: 1088

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Bromoil paper selection

Hi,

i did a workshop (first from 2 days) bromoil yesterday and am caught by the virus.

We used kentmere art document.

Which papers can be used for bromoil by your experiences?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    due to the poor availability of factory made papers suitable for bromoil printing, why don't make your own papers using liquid emulsion on art paper?

czech liquid emulsion from Foma works for bromoil making
    it should be the same emulsion used on some of their papers, dunno which ones...

SE1 emulsion does not work

I'd like to know about Efke emulsion...
    Last edited by Fulvio; 12-03-2006 at 11:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    In my limited experience with Bromoil, I've used David Lewis' Bromoil paper (available thru Photograpers Formulary), and J&C Bromoprint ( thru J&C but probably available from one of their European partners). Both papers have an un-hardened surface that lends itself well to Bromoil, hand-painting, etc..
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There's Bergger Brom-240, if you want a premade one.

Or maybe it's the same as all the other special Bromoil papers?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The nicest paper (although not a bromoil paper) I have used is agfa multicontrast matte. This paper has a beautiful surface, capable of exquisite detail. Unfortunatly its no longer made, but still can be found I hear.
    David Lewis http://www.bromoil.com/ also makes an excellent paper for bromoiling. he also manufactures the nicest inks and brushes I have been able to find.
    Almost any photo paper can be used for bromoiling. I have used many modern papers. The trick is to find the right time/temperature soaking for the paper. once you hit on it, most papers will ink up well. Bromoil papers will generally ink more easily and require lower soaking temperatures. I would recommend starting with them and working into modern papers once you have some experience.
    Don Sigl
    www.drs-fineartphoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've done some on Ilford FB matte and they came out quite good.
    i would love to try a specialized paper though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz View Post
    I've done some on Ilford FB matte and they came out quite good.
    i would love to try a specialized paper though.
    You should really check out David Lewis' paper. It has qualities similar to the early Zone VI Brilliant. Works nicely for silver prints, but especially well for Bromoil.
    I did a lot of contacting printing on it with large format negs and got great detail and tonality (unusual for Bromoil) - particulary with the Fitch brush that David sells.

I used to get the paper either from Photo Formulary or David's site.
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did today some bromoil test with Kentmere Fineprint VC Finegrain and they did come out very well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudar View Post
    I did today some bromoil test with Kentmere Fineprint VC Finegrain and they did come out very well!
    That's good to hear. If I'm not mistaken this paper has actually been called comparable to the old Agfa MCC 118, and is now officially on my list to try.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin