Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,751   Online: 895

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Actually, that's not a bad idea - thanks. I'm really only doing 5x7 for a while so I could do that. For that matter, if I do go with standard fluorescent tubes I could build the 11x14 type box and just put the center bulbs in for now ... and leave myself some money for some P.O.P, I'm dying to try that out.

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post
    As a side note, you may be able to get by with one 27w BLB in a reflector for doing 8x10. Might set you back $40-50.

Regards,
    Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx View Post

... also, Sandy - when you say that you used the fixtures as-is, do you mean that you used the bulbs that came with it too?
    I'm not in a big hurry, so if standard bulbs work a bit slower than BL, BLB, AQA, etc., I'm ok with that - now if it's a LOT slower that may be different.

Thanks,
    Nathan
    No, the two-tube fixtures that I bought did not include tubes. You should use either BL or BLB tubes. Home Depot and Lowes may have BLB, since this is a kind of "party" tube, but probably not the BLs. But you can order them from a place like Top Bulb.

Some standard tubes (Daylight, for example) will work, but exposure times will be much longer, by a factor of 2X-4X.

Finally, make sure you get two-tube fixtures with electronic ballast. Much more efficient.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This intrigues me - if it works for 5x7 it would certainly be a low-cost alternative until I have the time & money to build a really nice setup. I know lots of folks used to used "sun lamps" for this, does the 27w BLB in a standard shop reflector do the same thing? Here's a LINK to the bulb in question.
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post
    As a side note, you may be able to get by with one 27w BLB in a reflector for doing 8x10. Might set you back $40-50.

Regards,
    Martin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

freq

Sandy (and others)

Please remind me the optimim UV frequencies for pt/pd printing -- and for carbon if they are different.

I was looking at some interesting bulbs and wondering how practical they would be. Eye Lighting makes a 450W Merc Vapor self-ballasting reflector lamp (#68633) -- screw-in type base (mongol). It has a peak at a wave length of 400, a peak at blue...and then peaks at yellow, orange and red, which would just be a source of heat as far as alt. processes go.

For my carbons I am using two 175W merc vapor lamps -- I'd like to simplify my system by using one lamp and up the wattage.

Edited to add....looked up Sandy's article on the unblinkingeye site. Looks like I need wavelengths of 320 to 400 and that the bulb above would work...if it will give even illumination for a 8x10 at a reasonable height.

The bulb is about $70 -- I'll have to give it some thought. Has anyone used such a bulb?

Thanks, Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn; 12-29-2006 at 12:48 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: did some research

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Sandy (and others)

Please remind me the optimim UV frequencies for pt/pd printing -- and for carbon if they are different.

I was looking at some interesting bulbs and wondering how practical they would be. Eye Lighting makes a 450W Merc Vapor self-ballasting reflector lamp (#68633) -- screw-in type base (mongol). It has a peak at a wave length of 400, a peak at blue...and then peaks at yellow, orange and red, which would just be a source of heat as far as alt. processes go.

For my carbons I am using two 175W merc vapor lamps -- I'd like to simplify my system by using one lamp and up the wattage.

Thanks, Vaughn
    Vaughn,

Carbon in particular is most sensitive to wavelenghts from about 350-450 nm. (Actually, it is very sensitive to radiation below 300 nm but the glass of our frames cuts this out.

I have no personal experience with the 450 watt self-ballasting mercury vapor lamp you mention, but I think it would probably serve your needs better than the two 175 watt bulbs. All mercury vapor lamps put out a lot of useful radiation for exposing carbon.

Sandy

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Thanks, Sandy....

My last printing session with carbon produced prints that were sharp -- just not as sharp as previous carbons I have made. Everything was identical except for one thing. One of the merc vapor lamps seemed to be not as bright (in the visible spectrum), so I moved the printing frame around a lot during exposure to even out the exposure across the tissue. Normally I move it only once or twice during the exposure.

All that changing of position (and not using a vacumn frame) probably gave me the same results as using a diffused light source similar to a bank of BLB tubes.

I have the material/equipment for a vacumn frame system -- I need to get off my rear and figure out how to to put it all together. I remember years ago on the B&S forum reading about a glassless vacumn frame system that Stephen Luvick use -- I would like to try to duplicate that.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I have the material/equipment for a vacumn frame system -- I need to get off my rear and figure out how to to put it all together. I remember years ago on the B&S forum reading about a glassless vacumn frame system that Stephen Luvick use -- I would like to try to duplicate that.

Vaughn

Vaughn,

There is a picture in the 2nd edition of David Scopick's book on gum printing of a glassless vacuum frame that looks fairly easy to assemble. You might also look on ebay for one as good units sell for a fraction of their original value. In fact, platemakers with light integrators and vacuum frames can often be found at very attractive prices.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

27watt BLB compact fluorescent bulb

Anyone know where to get one of these?

I decided to go with the 27w BLB spiral bulb for the short term before my project stalls while I build the larger unit ... BUT no one seems to have one in stock! In fact, bulbman.com is the only place I've found a reference to it ... and they're out of stock. Aargh!

Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith01tx View Post
    This intrigues me - if it works for 5x7 it would certainly be a low-cost alternative until I have the time & money to build a really nice setup. I know lots of folks used to used "sun lamps" for this, does the 27w BLB in a standard shop reflector do the same thing? Here's a LINK to the bulb in question.
    Nathan

Shooter
    35mm
    You have to place the order with bulbman.com, then they will bring the item in for you. I had to do this and am currently waiting on 10 BLBs. It takes about 6-8 weeks usually. You could also use 15w BLB, that are available other places on the net, but your exposure times will increase.

Regards,
    Martin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Bulbman

Nathan,

I order enlarger bulbs and the various other bulbs (strobe lights, etc) I need for the university from Bulbman -- always very helpful when I call them. Give them a call and they'll probably check their various warehouses to see if they have one somewhere.

Vaughn

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin