Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,294   Online: 771

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm also having difficulties finding relevant wiring diagrams for my UV box. I have all the parts (sans wires, will buy today).

This is my setup, maybe someone can chime in and help me out with the wiring. I was planning to let someone else do the wiring, but can't find one to do it! Electricians here seem quite uninterested in doing a "cheap" job like this, they are busy working for corporations and making big bucks, it seems.

6 Philips Actinic 05 tubes, T12 (36 mm diameter) 20W
    12 tube holders
    3 electronic ballasts
    6 starters
    6 starter holders
    3 condensors for balancing the current

I understand how to wire a circuit of 1 ballast, 2 tubes 2 starters, but am unsure how to wire the condenser. And I'm very unsure how to wire it all together, in series or parallell. I live in Sweden, where we have 220-240 V and 50 Hz electrical power.

Help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Henning
    Be careful his bow tie is really a camera
    timeUnit

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Henning,
    You would want to wire your ligth fixtures parallel, they all need to get 230V if you wire in series you would halve the volatage for every unit you connect in the series.
    As far as the capacitor or Condensator, it is also wired in parallel or directly to the 230V.
    I just build my light box but with only 8 tubes.
    Hope this helps?

jan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It does help, thanks Jan!

If someone could attatch a wiring diagram as well I'd be most greatful.

Thanks again!
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Caution: I built a 3 foot box as I wanted to be able to put two or more frames in if needed, but didn't want as big as 48". Unfortunately, the F30T12BL tubes are all but non-existent. I will have to get the actinic (AQA).
    I tried some BLB from Light Bulb depot but most are defective (chinese made I believe)

So...Build a 24" or 48"..
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I was able to find the plans online here: http://www.hometown.aol.com/eepjon/ubldit.htm
    Neal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonneal View Post
    I was able to find the plans online here: http://www.hometown.aol.com/eepjon/ubldit.htm
    Neal
    These are the plans by Jon Edwards which were included in the Sullivan & Weese Platinum book. I recently acquired a box like this made by a fellow APUGer, Bruce Terry, and it's very nice. A large part of that is Bruce's careful execution and workmanship, but I can testify that it works quite nicely.

BTW - Jon's site (http://www.eepjon.com/) has some great stuff and he's a nice guy to deal with as well. The aol.com site where the plans were found is out of date. Thanks for posting that URL though, I was wondering why I couldn't find the plans - I wasn't aware of this older site.

Nathan
    Last edited by Nathan Smith; 03-30-2007 at 09:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did it! It works! Woooohooo!

I'm very happy and proud. Thanks for all your help. I'll show a picture of it along with a more detailed description of wiring etc. It might be of interest to people with 230-240 VAC.
    timeUnit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I finally received my 36 inch bulbs today, made on a special run by Voltarc through Universal Light Source (San Fran) http://www.ulsi.net/products.htm

I dealt with Doug who patiently helped me acquire these. I just placed them in my box and presto, they all went on. They are actinic types. I tried a VDB with a pyro Neg, medium density and it looked close at 17 minutes, though another 3-5 would have been ideal.

FWIW, the first bulbs I ordered from Light BUlb Depot were crap, and were the chinese made BLB's and only 4, sometimes 6 actually even lit up. That had me wasting time (kinda) checking all the wiring etc.

It was a pain to deal with them in getting returned (waiting for "authorization") and then a while to get the refund.
    The good thing is they did not charge me for a restock fee or for any shipping-but, a pain.

No one had 36" bulbs (except the BLB's Chinese brand) and that was only LightBulbDepot.

Thanks to Doug at Universal and Voltarc for having a low quantity special run.

I paid $15 per 36" bulb. Not cheap, but no choices (They were actually cheaper than the BLB's from LBD).

I dunno what shipping is yet..(gulp).

But, it's done, it's over and now I can say "good bye sun, you inconsistent thang you...."
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post
    As a side note, you may be able to get by with one 27w BLB in a reflector for doing 8x10. Might set you back $40-50.

Regards,
    Martin
    Martin,

what do you think might be the distance from such a bulb to 8x10 or 5x7 sheet to give even illumination?

regards,

Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I am surprised the plans disappeared -- they use to be on the old Bostick & Sullivan site also. I suppose too many people were making their own.
    Vaughn
    Not true. I don't know why the UV light box plans no longer appear on the website, but we still provide the plans to anyone who asks. I will scan the plans out of The New Platinum Print and put them up as a PDF, if anyone would find it usefull.

I'm sorry this has given Bostick & Sullivan a soured reputation with you, Vaughn, but we would have gladly fixed the problem if it had been brought to our attention earlier. Nothing malicious was intended.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin