Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,539   Online: 1084

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana Sullivan View Post
    Not true. I don't know why the UV light box plans no longer appear on the website, but we still provide the plans to anyone who asks. I will scan the plans out of The New Platinum Print and put them up as a PDF, if anyone would find it usefull.

I'm sorry this has given Bostick & Sullivan a soured reputation with you, Vaughn, but we would have gladly fixed the problem if it had been brought to our attention earlier. Nothing malicious was intended.
    My apologies, Dana. I wrote that 3 days after Christmas...I must have not gotten what I wanted for Christmas or something, because that post has a few snide remarks. Perhaps I was still disappointed with the Edwards Engineering kit I had order directly from them.

But whatever stupid reason I had for making such remarks, I again apologize. I have had nothing but great products and great service from you and Bostick and Sullivan, and I am greatly embarassed and saddened to have my words come back to me to bite me so deservingly in the behind.

Respectfully yours,

Vaughn

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    hello everyone

I've just completed a UV box similar to the Jon Edwards plans...

I used 8 20W Sylvania BL bulbs with 4 Osram 2x36W ballasts and a fair amount of reflective material around the inside (I found some cheap leftovers at a cine hire shop)

I am getting step 2 complete black in palladium on a stouffer step wedge in around 40 seconds exposure ... (10 stops range if you're interested with 12/10/24 drops)

Most of my negs (Bergger200 developed in D19) have a base fog equivalent of around 2 on a step wedge and a maximum 'blackiness' (whats the correct term?) of around 8 (i.e. i'll need to add some contrast agent)

My exposures are very short compared to what I have read here (20 mins !?)

The paper/tube distance is ~65mm but I am getting no banding from the bulbs at this distance - they are butted right up against each other with a good extraction fan going for gold ...

uh oh - what went right ?

or am I about to ruin something expensive ?
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    If you are concerned about the very short exposure times, just raise the box on wood blocks. I am not surprised that you get no binding.In one of the last issues of "Post Factory Journal..." Judy Siegel did an experiment in which she blacked out every other tube and in the final experiment laid her paper directly on the tubes - No Banding resulted.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    If you are concerned about the very short exposure times, just raise the box on wood blocks. I am not surprised that you get no binding.In one of the last issues of "Post Factory Journal..." Judy Siegel did an experiment in which she blacked out every other tube and in the final experiment laid her paper directly on the tubes - No Banding resulted.
    I'm certainly not concerned about short exposure times, its all good - I just thought with others reporting 20 minute exposures from similar designs that it must be the proximity at work ... and following from that its such a simple adjustment why hadn't they done it ?

There 'must' :rolleyes: be a reason I thought and banding was my guess.

My second guess now is that the rays are relatively more diffuse as a more collimated further away/smaller source would be - but my contact frame is pretty snug and I'm happy with the resulting edges ...

very chuffed
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    well lets see. Qct 24th I order a 18x20 UV Box from bostick and Nov 6th had not recieved anything reagrding mailing. Around the 10th I called and they had to look into it. ( alot of money to have to just look into it). No wasn't shipped by Ed Engine. But was told that I would be placed 1st on the list (this was last wednesday) and it would be shipped Friday. Tuesday I called and left a message I wanted the shippers number and got a call back that it was going out this friday. NOW that is customer service. Between EE and B&S It will be a month befor my 995.00 light will get sent. Not impressed with either company. If I didn't follow up they would have kept my $995.00 and never shipped the light. But they sure made sure they charged out the light a month before shipping. AND NO I"M SORRY EITHER. Great lplace to start a alternate process store.

mike andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just picked up everything I need to start building one of these using the plans from Jon Edwards. A huge THANK YOU for making these plans available for free.

I purchased everything at Home Depot except the fan. I pulled that from an extra computer case I had laying around.

I also purchased a couple of things that I really didn't need like new drill bits and a 4" hole saw.

Total cost for everything excluding the bits & saw was $356.81

The most expensive items where the bulbs @ $12.97 each and the Ballasts @ $12.00 each. I know I could have probably found the bulbs cheaper online but to me it's worth the extra to buy local.

I have to say the the guy at Home Depot was great. I showed him the cutting list for the wood from a sheet of 4x8 ply-wood and ask if he could cut it for me. He said no problem and cut everything to size for FREE! I knew that they do this but I always thought that they charged so much for every cut.

Anyway I'm planning on starting this project tomorrow night. Wish me luck

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0319.JPG  
    Last edited by Jim Moore; 12-30-2007 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"...Wayne Gretzky

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Smith View Post
    Actually, that's not a bad idea - thanks. I'm really only doing 5x7 for a while so I could do that. For that matter, if I do go with standard fluorescent tubes I could build the 11x14 type box and just put the center bulbs in for now ... and leave myself some money for some P.O.P, I'm dying to try that out.

Nathan
    As POP prints out you can just use sunlight - you dont need the precise reproducible exposure times that you need for developing out processes. If its raining I use a small low voltage fluorescent light that is in the kitchen for POP - just tried it out as an experiment one day when it was dark and rainy. Exposure times are about 4 hours with it, but its not a very bright light. Sunlight is much quicker, and needs a much more contasty negative.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
    I just picked up everything I need to start building one of these using the plans from Jon Edwards. A huge THANK YOU for making these plans available for free.

I purchased everything at Home Depot except the fan. I pulled that from an extra computer case I had laying around.

I also purchased a couple of things that I really didn't need like new drill bits and a 4" hole saw.

Total cost for everything excluding the bits & saw was $356.81

The most expensive items where the bulbs @ $12.97 each and the Ballasts @ $12.00 each. I know I could have probably found the bulbs cheaper online but to me it's worth the extra to buy local.

I have to say the the guy at Home Depot was great. I showed him the cutting list for the wood from a sheet of 4x8 ply-wood and ask if he could cut it for me. He said no problem and cut everything to size for FREE! I knew that they do this but I always thought that they charged so much for every cut.

Anyway I'm planning on starting this project tomorrow night. Wish me luck

Jim
    Can you post a link where to download these plans for free? Thanks, Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    Can you post a link where to download these plans for free? Thanks, Robert
    It's buried in post #25: http://www.hometown.aol.com/eepjon/ubldit.htm

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks Art. Robert

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin