Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,932   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cyanotypes?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Cyanotypes?

I'm interested in trying my hand at cyanotype, I've never done any alternative processes before so it's a little daunting.

I'm considering getting the Fotospeed kit as a starting point, can I ask your views on this? Does it represent value for money, are there better ways to get started and if not what are they. (UK based.)

Also, what should I aim for in a negative, normal, high or low contrast/density etc.

Any links to information also welcomed.

Thanks

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My limited experience with Fotospeed kits is that they are poor value.
    Look at:
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Starks-Alternative-Photography for a possible alternative, or check out:
    http://www.mikeware.demon.co.uk/

for a D.I.Y. approach.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl View Post
    I'm interested in trying my hand at cyanotype, I've never done any alternative processes before so it's a little daunting.

I'm considering getting the Fotospeed kit as a starting point, can I ask your views on this? Does it represent value for money, are there better ways to get started and if not what are they. (UK based.)

Also, what should I aim for in a negative, normal, high or low contrast/density etc.

Any links to information also welcomed.

Thanks

Martin
    Purchase the required chemicals seperately, they are inexpensive. I personally prefer the traditional cyanotype formula over Ware's. Everyone crows about the DMAX you get with the Ware formula but you can get a very good DMAX with the traditional formula by using 2 parts A to 1 part B.

Use a good quality paper for best results.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the chemicals from somewhere and mix them yourself.

May I refer you to my website (see below) for some instructions/hints? Look into the "technical issues". I will be ready to explain/ answer further questions.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Cyano is probably the easiest. Don't be daunted. If you have ever made something in the kitchen from scratch, you can do this.

Just don't sit a neg on a wet surface. Let it dry first.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    And be sure to use a non-buffered paper. Unlike most other processes, Cyanotypes need an acidic environment or else they will bleach. Normal to slightly high contrast and density negatives can be printed successfully. The proportions of A+B solutions can be manipulated a bit to control print contrast. When the deepest shadows solarize the exposure is sufficient (assuming a properly matched negative density range).

Joe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the advice.

Dave, can I ask you to recommend a paper/supplier in the UK?

Thanks,

Martin
    I'm Spartacus!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Apart from my local stationers / art shop, I only know of Silverprint, the latter stocking a very limited range of Arches Platine and Cranes Parchment. Maybe those that participate in the Alternate Print Exchange, such as Carl, Phill, or John will come in with specific help.
    As an aside have you looked at Ed Buffalo’s site, for he has several pages devoted to this process? http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Cyano/cyano.html
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Large Format
    Silverprint have all the chemistry. Paper is a different matter, I use Atlantis in London, as I work near there, http://www.atlantisart.co.uk/ (and they sell by the sheet) but I havent tried cyanotype yet, and papers are very different in terms of sizing, and no doubt other properties for different processes.
    Last edited by Justin Cormack; 12-29-2006 at 08:26 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: improvement

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.

Dave, can I ask you to recommend a paper/supplier in the UK?

Thanks,

Martin
    Martin,

Here is a list of papers that should work well with cyanotype:

Arches Platine - Moderately Expensive
    Buxton - Very Expensive
    Crane's Parchment Wove - Inexpensive
    Rives BFK - Moderately Expensive
    Stonehenge White - Inexpensive
    Weston Diploma Parchment - Inexpensive
    Clear Print Vellum - Inexpensive
    Bienfang 360 Marking Paper - Inexpensive
    Cot 320 - Moderately Expensive

I'm sure there are others including Japanese papers.

Good luck,

Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin