Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,905   Posts: 1,555,850   Online: 887

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Rives BFK Problem

I just got in a new batch of Rives BFK in the 22 x 30 size and there is something wrong. Even after OA treatment is will not take a coating very well. The palladium coating even looks different when dry... a lighter yellow than usual. The prints are awful. No dmax, very grainy... nothing like my last batch or those before. I have tried double coating, double OA treatment, etc with no good results. Could something have changed in their manufacture? Anyone else notice this?

I also got a few of the larger sheets and they are OK. Aside from the way they print, there is nothing that looks or feels different. Watermark the same... everything. Could be leftovers from another run though. Beware.

Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ugh - not good news. Have you tried a stronger OA bath? Maybe 5% for 10 to 20 minutes?
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    Ugh - not good news. Have you tried a stronger OA bath? Maybe 5% for 10 to 20 minutes?
    I'll give that a try later Kerik. Gotta get some printing on the good stuff done. I know.... this doesn't look good. It didn't do that initial fiz I usually get when it is reacting. The results look like bad typing paper.

Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Uh oh... even the newest big sheet is acting this way. Even worse. New batch of OA and everything. Ran a side by side test with Weston paper and it looked fine. It is definitely the paper. Ugh!!!!!!!!!

Testing now with a 5% solution for 20 minutes. I'll post back in a couple hours with my results.

Bill
    Last edited by bill schwab; 01-03-2007 at 01:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billschwab View Post
    Uh oh... even the newest big sheet is acting this way. Even worse. New batch of OA and everything. Ran a side by side test with Weston paper and it looked fine. It is definitely the paper. Ugh!!!!!!!!!

Testing now with a 5% solution for 20 minutes. I'll post back in a couple hours with my results.

Bill
    Thanks for the heads up Bill. It is not uncommon for a mill to change something in the paper to make it unusable for the process. Does the Weston paper require an OA bath? Or do you mean that the Weston paper is coating just fine so it is not your chemicals? Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertP View Post
    do you mean that the Weston paper is coating just fine so it is not your chemicals? Thanks
    That's what I mean Robert. Sorry not to be more clear. I was afraid something had gone awry chemically.

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Bill- come over to the white side...

COT320 is calling....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Bill- come over to the white side...

COT320 is calling....
    I use COT as well as Platine, but I do very much like the BFK.. until now. It has been my choice for some time now. Just ordered a batch of Platine due to the fact I can get a larger size. I'm working on 20 x 24's and need some border.

Bill

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just giving you some guff, Bill. I've stuck to the COT 320 because I don't have to do anything special to it to get consistently good results, which by itself is not a great reason not to experiment. I'm just amazed at how good COT 320 is - I can be pretty loose with my processes and it still forgives me. I do have a small packet of Soccorro left, which I'm saving for a special project.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bummer

Well, my test with the 5% solution of OA gave the same shi**y results. That's it for me and Rives I am afraid. I'm sure this will be a bigger bummer for you gumover folks. Sad.

**Also... Upon closer inspection I find that the newer batch feels a little less "creamy" than the older batch... more coarse. It also seems to transmit more light when held to a bulb when compared to the good stuff which blocks more light. Hoping this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Just giving you some guff..
    I know Scott... no problem. Just bummed. I have prints to get out of here and I am now stuck with no paper. Looks like overnight shipping charges for me.

Bill
    Last edited by bill schwab; 01-03-2007 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin