Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,004   Online: 852

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've found that intermittent agitation can help a stubborn-to-dissolve batch of FO. I have a magnetic stirrer which I will let run for 10 minutes or so. I then turn it off and let the solution sit for several hours, then repeat as necessary. In the end, if there's some solids left, I simply filter them out and use the solution as is. I agree that too much heat can cause more problems than a solution that is at a slightly lower concentration. Analytical filtration units like this with fine filter paper (0.45 micron) and a vacuum pump make filtering quick and very effective.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    I've found that intermittent agitation can help a stubborn-to-dissolve batch of FO. I have a magnetic stirrer which I will let run for 10 minutes or so. I then turn it off and let the solution sit for several hours, then repeat as necessary. In the end, if there's some solids left, I simply filter them out and use the solution as is. I agree that too much heat can cause more problems than a solution that is at a slightly lower concentration. Analytical filtration units like this with fine filter paper (0.45 micron) and a vacuum pump make filtering quick and very effective.

Kerik,

Thanks very much for the link to the analytical filtration units. I have been looking for something just like this to filter the pigmented gelatin solutions I use to make carbon tissue.

Sandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin