Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,527   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Cooling Palladium

Is it possible to cool the warm tone of palladium? Does Na2 do it?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Would you like to discuss what the developers do to the final color?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Yes, Na2 will cool the tone. Since you generally use less of the Na2 than you would the traditional platinum solution (potassium chloroplatinite), you won't get as noticeable of a difference in color shift, though.

What developer are you using? If you're using potassium oxalate, you could switch to ammonium citrate or sodium acetate and get a cooler tone that way.

Off topic: It's snowing here in Santa Fe again. We got 2 feet last weekend (A record) and it looks like we could get 6 inches or more tonight. Hooray for global warming!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Mark, please excuse me for butting in...? for Dana...

Dana,

What is the shelf life of your Ferric oxalate Solution #1 once it has been opened? I have a bottle I opened 6 months ago -- should I order more from you?

Vaughn

PS -- it is even cold here in NW CA...a touch below freezing last night. But rain is on its way, so we'll get lows in the low 40's and highs in the low 50's.

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Cooling Pd with NA2 - Consider Adjusting your Negative DR

I have traditionally printed with a 50-50 mixture of Pt to Pd which produces a rich warm black...but without the sepia tones typical to Pd. Lately, I've been using more NA2 with Pd because of working with digital negatives. If you develop your in-camera negatives to require 2-4 drops of 20% NA2 for an 8x10 (DR about 1.4-1.5), and develop in potassium oxalate at 110-130 degrees F, you will get a print color very similar to 50-50 Pt-Pd. Tonight I printed an in-camera 12x20 negative that required 1ml of 20% NA2 to 3ml Pd. The print color is almost identical to a 50-50 Pt-Pd mixture but with half the platinum and the tones are smoother than if I had used potassium chlorate and KPt. I have also recently completely changed the shape of the photoshop adjustment curve for digital negatives to use more NA2 to better match the tones in a traditional 50-50 Pt-Pd print. The philosophy of using the smallest amount of NA2 possible for a given negative generally results in the sepia color tones of Pd to which you refer.

Bob Herbst

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another factor in image tone with pure palladium is the actual physical temperature of your developer. Developing with room temperature PotOx will cool the image tone down a bit from what you get with properly tempered PotOx. It is subtle, but perceptible.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another approach would be to try the Ziatype process. A pure palladium ziatype can give you a dead neutral print. Not attractive to my eye, but if that's what you're looking for the Zia is an easy way to get it.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Images
    I am getting everything together to start the process, so no developer use yet. I got a couple of palladium kits last year and am finally getting around to building the light box. I am mainly curious how I could cool it with snow scenes, other than that situation where I really want white whites, I like the warm tones I have seen on palladium prints. Should I break down and buy a Pt/Pd kit

Dana, send some of that snow our way. We need it. You folks get 2 feet and we get a couple inches.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Papers make a big difference, also.

Printing at about 63% palladium, 35% platinum on Cranes Cover (Platinotype?) using Ammonium citrate as the developer (room temperature) gave me fairly neutral tones.

Switching over to room temperature Potassium oxalate developer (and using Fabriano Aristco paper), warmed up the prints considerably -- but not overly warm for my tatses.

Good luck!

Vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you're particularly looking for cool/neutral white highlights, also think paper. The Bergger COT 320 is the most neutral-white paper for this process that I'm aware of. Try printing on that, to see if it helps you get the look you're after.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin