Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,475   Posts: 1,542,611   Online: 982

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Possible flourescent light source for 8x10

Has anyone ever tried one of these as a light source for 8x10?

http://homeharvest.com/hydrofarmcompactfluorescents.htm

Just curious. Look as though it would work and it would come ready to use. I did not check on the bulb cost, but it is probably not cheap to replace.

-Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems expensive at 165.

You could buy two of these for $20 each.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...ductID_E_51328

Add a couple of light bulb connectors. The local Home Depot sells ones with a edison bulb fitting and a two prong connector on the other end.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Good point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I once made a light source with 12 18" flourescent tubes. I rapped alternating tubes with green and blue roscoe filters, and I could control each colored bank independently. I used high quality electronic ballasts. If you use the high CRI bulbs, you get about 1 stop faster printing with the blue (high contrast) bulbs.

There are some issues. The bulbs are brightest in the middle, and so this need to be evened out. Second, light output varies with temperature. So as they heat up, they get brighter, at least until they are about 110F. Higher temps lead to reduced output. So, either you need some type of light measuring timer, ala Metrolux, RH Designs, Zone VI..., or you should leave the light on all the time to stabalize temp, and use a shutter to control exposure.

After futzing with my DIY head for a while, I eventually bought a different 8x10 enlarger. It came with a standard color head, which I prefer. Given the cost of 8x10 enlarging equipment, I'd look for a cheap dichroic color head, unless you simply want to monkey around.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin