Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,003   Online: 1055

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I think that charge of $ 20/$ 25 is a reasonable price, I would like to get one, I have the old one, it's good, but with pictures and video would be amazing.

Best

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Images
    Charge for it. You get what you pay for with free material. A person should expect to pay for quality material. Don't donate or hand it out freely. Charge.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Go ahead and charge for it. Then send me a link!

Education is never free.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd be interested in the manual/video.

It looks like you should charge $20-25 for it and you've already sold at least $200 worth
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    People usually value things they have to pay for more than things they don't. I'd love a copy, especially if it was a LULU book that I could hold, read and make notes on. So charge away

Shooter
    Digital Negs
    Provide a download pdf for one price then have it printed and bound as a hardback book for a more expensive price. See www.lulu.com as a suggested above.

nn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Leake View Post
    People usually value things they have to pay for more than things they don't. I'd love a copy, especially if it was a LULU book that I could hold, read and make notes on. So charge away
    Hmm, I would make notes on a printout of a pdf, but would pay for a nicely produced book, not from lulu. But it doesnt sound like a book sized topic, and unless you are doing a Roger Hicks sized website project its not going to even have any potential of paying for itself. Whats wrong with giving something back? The history of photographic processes is littered with ideas that people tried to hide that just failed to take off because of the secrecy. I really dont understand the people suggesting you try to make money from it.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It is much appreciated. I am definately leaning towards charging for a PDF and am giving serious consideration to the Lulu book option.

My intention is not to make money from the instruction guide. I have an active art practice, a busy commercial studio and a photography school that combine to keep milk in the fridge as it were. I simply wish to recoup some of the costs of the project. More importantly, especially if I go with something like Lulu, I will be able to offer a quick and easy service of either a download or a book to anyone who wants one without having to personally field calls, emails etc. and deal with shipping. All in all, it seems like a win-win situation.

My only concern at this point is the quality of Lulu's printing service. I have never seen a Lulu book (that I know of) but I have seen iBooks from Apple. I was quite impressed by the quality of those. So, what is the print quality like from Lulu? And has anyone ever used them for their own project? (or should I do a search of the archives...this may have been discussed before...sorry if it has...).

Anyway, I'm rambling. Cheerio and thanks again for the advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've seen books from Lulu and for this sort of project the repro quality is fine. The books I have seen have been a variety of bindings and sizes. If you were looking to reproduce fine art images a truue to type as possible I would look elseware, but for a manual/howto book it should be fine

Cheers

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

I'd be interested in purchasing either way.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin