Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,738   Online: 841

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pt/pd on Baryta paper ll...seeking advice

Hi All

I have a small favour to ask. I need some sage advice regarding a project I have just completed. A number of years ago I self-published a small instructional booklet outlining my method of coating fixed-out baryta paper with platinum/palladium and other alt. process solutions. I sent a number of copies to people here and there, some as far away as Australia and Finland. In return for the booklet and shipping costs I asked for people to either send $20 to my Paypal account or a to send me a print made with the technique. Some chose the former, others the latter.

Well, I have just completed an update of the booklet. This time however, I am considering making the entire text available as a PDF download. The updated version now contains photos illustrating the various steps involved and even a link to a short video on my site where I demonstrate the heart of the procedure.

I am wondering what sort of access to the file I should provide. I could of course link it to my site and simply offer it for free to anyone who wants to download it. My goal after all is to spread the word about the technique so that people everywhere can try it. However, it is a 20+ page document illustrating a technique that took me a couple of years to perfect. The booklet and the video take up space on a website account I am paying for as well. So the entrepreneur in me says charge a nominal fee per download ($5? $10?). Going even further down this road, why even make it available as a PDF? Why not pitch it to one of the various magazines out there that publish this sort of thing (I'd have to edit it down of course to something much shorter). I could at least make a few bucks from it that way.

I don't know. I did not develop the method to make money from it. I just wanted pt/pd prints on baryta paper. My first instinct is to just share the information and be done with it. But my wallet says I should at least make some kind of effort to recoup the costs.

What say you?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Craig,

I say absolutely charge for it! Your time and discoveries are worth $$. Without blinking an eye, I'd pay $25 for a well-written, well-illustrated manual as a downloadable PDF with a short video.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd be willing to pay a reasonable cost to obtain a copy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still in a hole over the emulsion making and blade design, in spite of the return from the workshops. I say 'go for it'. You should at least recover your costs.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could you not publish it through Lulu.com or something similar? I'd be very interested in a physical copy and pdf format

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Graig, I'd be interested in a copy also. Robert

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
    But my wallet says I should at least make some kind of effort to recoup the costs.

What say you?
    Go for the money!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I agree. Charge a smallis fee for it, $20 - $25 or so, not $5 - $10. The online video is especially nice. Including that in the download would be great.

-R

Shooter
    Large Format
    I tend to think that techniques should be shared openly. But I dont think that you should pay to distribute it either. Why not donate it to APUG, access for subscribers only (like the gallery), I am sure this could be arranged so it is distributed from this site so it doesnt cost you. And I am sure people would still send prints....

You could perhaps sell to a magazine too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you need to or feel like you want to recoup the cost, then by all means charge a sum. I like sharing things (knowledge) and what goes around comes around. But my knowledge isn't worth much and I don't do it for a living, either...
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin