Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,568   Online: 1002

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A question about Sodium carbonate

Hi,

I am planning to have a crack at salt printing tomorrow however, I have noticed whilst sorting the various chemicals out that I have Sodium Carnonate rather than Sodium Chloride .

Having searched and read a few threads and had a look on the web, I have doubts about using Sodium Carbonate. Before I dash out and purchase some Sea Salt I was wondering whether Sodium Carbonate can actually be used in place of Sodium Chloride? Has anyone had any experience of this?

Cheers John

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No, you can't.

The sodium doesn't matter, what you need is chloride. You can substitute ammonium chloride, potassium chloride, seawater, sea salt, table salt, or even hydrochloric acid.

You really mean you have no salt at all in the house???
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ole,

Thanks for your response, you have confirmed what I thought, which is great. I believed that I had ordered Sodium Chloride but obviously not. My mistake

Unfortunately I have table salt but not Sea Salt so down the supermarket I will have to go.

Once again many thanks.

John

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Table salt works. Some of it contains iodide, wihch is not what you want. The "low sodium salt" that's so popular isn't so good either (doesn't taste right either, IMO), but should actually work.

Sea salt is often purer (no additives), which is why it's recommended.

What you really need is something containing sodium chloride and as little as possible of anything else. This is more for repeatability than because the process actually needs pure salt. As I said, seawater works fine with a little dilution (how much depends on where you are). Seawater contains a lot of other salts too, not just sodium chloride!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kosher salt is good - no additives.

Regards,
    Neil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks gents for your advise its much appreciated.

Cheers

John

Shooter
    Large Format
    kosher salt is not widely available in the UK. Avoid anything "free flowing" as that has additives, but plain sea salt is pretty widely available.

Just reading the James Reilly salt and albumen book and want to make more, but the sun is no use here. I might ferment some albumen though...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not too widely available, I agree, but I live nr Southend in the UK and my jewish friend just picked it up from wherever she shops. I expect anywhere there is a large jewish community is the place to look.

Regards,
    Neil

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin