Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,947   Online: 797

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Long Post on PdPt Exposure issues

Please excuse the long post. If you can take the time to read it and help diagnose my frustration that would help me, and might also help others who experience similar frustration.

I have been Pt Pd printing for a little less than a year. I had some beginner's luck, but it seems the more I learn, the less I know. The more prints I make, the harder it's getting. I'll start with a few observations of my experiences and then talk about the problems that caused me to post this.

My first negs and first successes were with negs shot on HP5 and developed in D76 1:1. They were exposed at EI 250 and developed in rotary tubes (Beseler on a Unicolor base). The negs look a little dense to the eye, the highlights are a little blocked. On silver, this negs prints well on grade 3 to 3.5 VC. It requires a lot of burning on some of the highlight areas. In PtPd, using the NA2 method, it printed well with a coating of 18 drops FO, 15 drops Pd, and 3 drops 20% NA2. I didn't realize in those days that the NA2 should be in addition to the total drop count, and thought that it should take the place of an equal number of drops of Pd. The exposure time was about 20 minutes.

I continued more or less in this vein until I got frustrated with extra edge density due to the agitation patterns of the Beseler tubes. During this time I shot a lot of Ilford and TMY, and saw drop counts of more or less 18/15/3 to 18/12/6 to get prints that had satisfactory contrast. I've been told this is too much NA2 and that I should work to get contrastier negatives, so I started working on that by increasing development.

I switched to JOBO Expert drum. I also started using Pyrocat HD.

I re-read more carefully the Weese text "New Platinum Print" and the Arentz text, and realized that my drop count was in error. I needed to ADD the NA2 count to the total drops, not replace. I corresponded with Carl Weese and he suggested that I had gone down the rabbit hole in terms of chasing contrast with NA2, leading to longer and longer exposure times. I dialed back the NA2 and saw slight reduction in print times, but with a less than acceptable contrast scale.

My exposure times ARE quite a bit longer than my colleagues with the same equipment. Where they have 6 to 8 minutes exposures on average (with the same film, developer, exposure unit), I have times ranging from 18-35 minutes.

In an attempt to correct this, I looked critically at all the negs. I don't have a densitometer. My thinking was that, maybe these very dense negs were a result of overexposure AND overdevelopment. I was overdeveloping to get the DR I needed for the PtPd process, but maybe my old technique of overexposing a bit (like rating HP5 at 250 for better shadow detail) from my Silver printing habits, was resulting in too much density. I began to experiment with higher EI, rating the my most recent film (J&C Classic 400) at 400.

In these recent test, I got D76 1:1 negs that required 15 minutes UV exposure to get a decent black in the B+F area. This 15 minute exposure resulted in prints that were too dark in the Subject area. So, negs too thin. I also tried Pyrocat, and these same negs required 20+ minutes for a good black in B+F area and again resulted in a too dark print. I increased development in an effort to expand the DR. This morning I have pulled an 'acceptable' print with these parameters: J&C Classic 400 negative exposed at EI400, developed in Pyrocat 2:2:100 for 19 minutes at 72 degrees in Expert Drum on Unicolor base. Perceptions of negative--looks a little dense for Silver, but easily printable, no blocked highlights except for specular reflections. Coating was 20/20/2 drops 20% NA2, (which corresponds to Arentz 5s, the MIDDLE grade). To get an acceptable print took 37 minutes, and the B+F area is still not quite as black as areas of the print where there is PtPd coating that had no negative blocking them. Here, there's a very dense black, but in the B+F it's just near black. If I had gone for black in the B+F area, the subject would have been too dark. The print has very good contrast.

I'm eager to resolve the issue and think I will buy a Stouffer 21 step wedge to try to get some uniformity to the tests.

I am confused why friends with the same expo unit--a total of 8, 18-inch BLB tubes, positioned 5 inches above the contact frame--would have such wildly different times to get a respectable black in the B+F area.

Does J&C Classic 400 have more B+F than HP5? Than TMY?

I've never done film testing, because for my needs to date, I've been able to get close enough for Silver printing. Do I really need to pick a film and do the testing? Do I need a densitometer?

Thanks for any thought you give this and any response.

Neal

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Picking one film, doing some testing, and using a densitometer would save you some severe aggravation and save you a bundle of money in the not so long run.

Judging from the long post, I think you kind of answered your own questions.

Best of luck,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Picking one film, doing some testing, and using a densitometer would save you some severe aggravation and save you a bundle of money in the not so long run.

Judging from the long post, I think you kind of answered your own questions.

Best of luck,
    I agree with what Robert said. I prefer TMAX 400 but I can also use HP5 or FP4. Pick just one film and establish your film speed needed for palladium printing. Once you have the film speed set then dial in your processing times for the required CI.

Pick one NA2 mixture and stick with that. If you want dual purpose negatives use that mix that produces a density range of 1.4. If you want to print on AZO, Palladium, and/or Kallitype use the 1S or 2S mixture.

But get your results correct for palladium before you do anything else.

The short answer is you are trying to hard and need to simplify your exposure/development steps - which are tied to your print ES.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hi Neal. I don't use NA2 so may be off, but it sounds like you're overdeveloping to me: if a similar light unit needs much less exposure time then your neg is probably too dense (though you may want to check all the UV tubes are firing up because if one or two are dead then that'll obviously have an effect - you may also be able to try your neg in someone else's unit if they're close by). Of course, their negs may be too thin...

I'm rebelling against film testing at the moment so I'm using empirical methods. My starting point is to use the film's rated EI and N+1 development - there's usually a suggestion on the web somewhere. This get's me into the printable region. Then I refine from there. I know this isn't perfect, but it's fit for purpose.

I've just developed my first 11x14 tonight on Bergger BPF200 which I haven't used before. The developed neg density is quite similar to an HP5 reference neg so it seems to work I'll try printing it tomorrow which should tell me how much to adjust my dev next time round.

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Long Post on PdPt Exposure issues

I can think of two possibilities for your long exposure times. I have no experience with Pyrocat HD. Perhaps Sandy King can comment. But the combination of JOBO and pyro usually means excessive stain which can add 1-2 stops of spectral density to the negative for UV-based alternative processes. Rollo pyro was developed to address the needs of JOBO users. I have always developed in trays - 4x5, 8x10, and 12x20.

A second variable from your friends is your contact printing frame glass. Do you know if the glass has any UV blocking elements in it? Try replacing it with a known glass type. Plexiglass passes more UV than ordinary float glass but I would never use plexiglass. Some frames are sold with it.

An after-thought...have you calibrated your shutters to ensure your exposure is correct? I use many older Ilex shutters in my work and they must all be calibrated with a shutter tester. The marked times are never accurate.

Bob Herbst
    Last edited by bobherbst; 02-04-2007 at 06:33 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Neal, you have already gotten very good advice from people I respect and can only add a couple of questions. Did the long print times start this winter? I wonder if your darkroom space might be too dry, and you just need to add a bit of humidity to the room. My experience has been mostly with Ziatypes (POP) and have been printing DOP palladium for less than a year. With Zia's humidity is everything, and I have found it is important with DOP as well, just not as demanding. Also, the room temp where you are printing could have an impact on how fast your negatives print as well.

You are on the right track, IMO, by picking up a step wedge - I actually have 2 a T2115 that I use for printing (coat a small area of maybe 1x5 inches - saves paper and metal salts) and print/process as normal. The other is a model TP4x5 which I expose with the negative in camera - if you check the articles section Tim C (noseoil) did a real nice article on using a stepwedge without a denistometer.

Considering the furstration, cost of paper and metal salts, the step wedge is well worth the money....of course that has been my experience. All of that said, it seemed like forever before I was able to get a good print, then one day it all came together (at least of a few negatives). There are still learning day (read negatives that aren't worth a darn) and good days as well.

Good luck, and let us know how this works out.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback. Answers to a couple of questions that came up:

Regarding shutter testing, my daylit exposures, relying on the shutter and my metering technique, have been the easier negs to print. My real troubles have been with studio flash, which of course has not much to do with shutter speed. Maybe I should just stick to working in the sun

Regarding Humidity in the darkroom, I have a humidifier and a gauge in there. I am working in 60% RH and about 72-75 degrees.

Think I may go back to basics: temporarily discontinue Pyriocat, discontinue J&C 400 (no loss, as we won't be able to get it easily/cheaply anymore). Will settle on HP5 in D76 1:1, get a step wedge and try to standardize more.

Details as I have them. Thanks again.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Hi Neal,

I use HP5 and D-76 for my 11x14 platinum work. I confess that it is my least favorite film for platinum, but I use it because I have a lot of the film. Once it is gone, I will shift to J&C 400, which I use in 16x20 and 20x24 or fp4.

The problem with HP5 is that it is a push film, not really an expansion film. As I extend development, the shadows also increase in density. This leads to longer print times and I have to use a more contrasty mixture of Pt/pl.

I develop HP5 in d76 1+0 for 12.5 minutes in a jobo processor for N development. I then selenium intensify the negative in toner 1+1 for 5 minutes. The combination of developer and intensification will get the negative up to a DR of 1.6 to 1.7. The Arentz book, at least the latest edition calls for D76 1+0 for 11 minutes at EI 400 for a DR of 1.6. Or, D76 at 1+1 for 17 minutes at EI 400. Frankly, I have never had much luck with d76 at 1+1 with HP5. My times were based on my own BTZS testing.

Print times for the HP5 are longer than for the J&C or Tri-X. My print times with this film are around 15 minutes. The film works better in pyro, but I am not a big fan of working with pyro, especially in a jobo.

I would really recommend doing an organized film and paper test for your working method and materials. Either BTZS or ZS. It will save a lot of frustration in the long run.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Neal- from reading your description, even assuming the J&C at 400 instead of a lower ASA, it sounds to me like you're nuking the hell out of your film. In my Jobo, I'm dealing with 11-13 minutes for HP5+ in Pyrocat, 1:1:100, not 2:2:100, rating my HP5 at 200. Also, if your negs are truly contrasty, they should be printing on a LOWER grade of silver, not higher. I think your negs are just way too dense across the range. Can you throw one on a lightbox and shoot a digital pic of it so we can get an idea of what it looks like in general?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Neal- from reading your description, even assuming the J&C at 400 instead of a lower ASA, it sounds to me like you're nuking the hell out of your film. In my Jobo, I'm dealing with 11-13 minutes for HP5+ in Pyrocat, 1:1:100, not 2:2:100, rating my HP5 at 200. Also, if your negs are truly contrasty, they should be printing on a LOWER grade of silver, not higher. I think your negs are just way too dense across the range. Can you throw one on a lightbox and shoot a digital pic of it so we can get an idea of what it looks like in general?
    Yes, I can do that photo on a light box. And you may be right. But if you are, the troubling thing is Why, with a neg that looks so thin to the eye, does it take 15-18 minutes to get B+F to go black? I'll pull out a light box tonight after work.
    Thanks,
    N

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin