Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,774   Posts: 1,516,649   Online: 1150

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dry Tintype

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, Kevin. By the way, since you offered, please do share your emulsion formula. I'd like to have that on file.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And one more question: regarding varnish. I have the formula for making alcohol/lavender/gum sandarac varnish, but if there is a commercially available varnish that will do the same thing that I can buy at Lowe's, please fill me in.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Fritz
    I have seen a posting on the collodion.com site that someone is using a material called Clearshield. If you want to read someones experience with it go to collodion.com and go to the forums then to "purley experimental" section and click on "modern varnish". You will have to register to log on if you have not already.
    It is a water based clear UV protective coating used to protect printouts and documents, used inplace of laminating. They have a web site, clearstarcorp.com. In the past I have used shelac but it dries a little rough and dull. Give me a mailing address so I can send you emulsion instructions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, today I tested a number of things, including the Dektol+ammonium thiosulfate (Dektol 1:1, mixed 3 oz to 1 gm of AmmThio; used on both Ag+ and Rollei's RBM2 emulsions) developer. In a direct comparison with the Rockland developer, the Rockland was better hands down. Sad but true. On the Rollei RBM2, the Dektol mixture left the dark areas quite foggy, and really did a number on any flaw in the emulsion, including fogging the area around any bubbles. On the Ag+, it only gave a faint image. When diluted to a 6oz:1gm solution, I got only a faint image on the Rollei emulsion.

Thoughts, anyone? I'd still rather be making my own simple developer than buying Rockland's. Any chemists out there that can look at Rockland's MSDS sheets online and help me formulate a homemade version?

On the plus side, the Rockland reversal developer combined with the Rollei emulsion resulted in better contrast and some pleasing colors (when the developer was fresh), better than the Rockland Ag+ emulsion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin