Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,710   Online: 784

One shot toning of Kallitypes

Inspired by Sandy King I have been producing gold and palladium toned Kallitypes recently. For various reasons (space, control etc) my work flow is virtually one shot, processing the prints in a Jobo CPE processor. This works remarkably well for me producing consistent results. My question relates to toning using this workflow - if I can can tone an 8x10" print in a flat bottom dish using 25ml of stock toner, will I achieve the same toning effect by diluting the 25ml stock to 120ml to process the print in the Jobo ? I have compared prints and they look the same - I am not sure however if they will have the same archival properties.

Steve Chambers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schambuk View Post
    Inspired by Sandy King I have been producing gold and palladium toned Kallitypes recently. For various reasons (space, control etc) my work flow is virtually one shot, processing the prints in a Jobo CPE processor. This works remarkably well for me producing consistent results. My question relates to toning using this workflow - if I can can tone an 8x10" print in a flat bottom dish using 25ml of stock toner, will I achieve the same toning effect by diluting the 25ml stock to 120ml to process the print in the Jobo ? I have compared prints and they look the same - I am not sure however if they will have the same archival properties.

Steve Chambers

Steve,

They may look the same but they will not be as archival since the more dilute solution will not result in as much replacement of silver with palladium or gold in a given amount of time. And if you tone too long, you may get a stain. So my advice is to use the toning solution full strength and tone for 5-10 minutes.

Sandy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin