Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,148   Online: 865

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

General paper for alternative printing

I am about to embark on a few months experiment of alternative printing processes (Kallitypes, Van Dyke, Cyanotypes, maybe others); primarily to teach myself the rudiments of the techniques and also to find a process which works for my images.

I am looking for a single paper which will work with these processes; preferably one which is relatively cheap. I realize that this is far from optimal, but I can not easy purchase and receive shipments where I am currently located.

So, any suggestions for an inexpensive paper which works for Kallitypes, Vandyke and other hand coated processes?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi View Post
    I am about to embark on a few months experiment of alternative printing processes (Kallitypes, Van Dyke, Cyanotypes, maybe others); primarily to teach myself the rudiments of the techniques and also to find a process which works for my images.

I am looking for a single paper which will work with these processes; preferably one which is relatively cheap. I realize that this is far from optimal, but I can not easy purchase and receive shipments where I am currently located.

So, any suggestions for an inexpensive paper which works for Kallitypes, Vandyke and other hand coated processes?
    You may be interested in Weston’s Diploma Parchment which you can order from here:

http://www.crane.com/business/weston...palladium.aspx

It meets all of the criteria that you have listed.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Aside from the cheap specification, Bergger COT 320 is a terrific all-purpose alt process paper. Price though probably takes it out of the running.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I second the suggestion of Weston paper. After years of using a variety of other papers, I now use this paper for every process except gum and albumen.

It is light weight, but holds up well when wet.
    It takes coatings easily and there is no need to acidify it prior to coating which is necessary with some other popular papers.
    It clears beautifully with a variety of clearing agents.
    It is inexpensive.
    Even if it cost more, I would stay with it as I find it to be the best all around paper I have used.
    Jim
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Weston paper sounds perfect! Many thanks.

Jim, why doesn't this paper work for albumen? I have been using Strathmore 500, but it isn't a cheap paper, and isn't always easy to find.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I too have fallen in love with Crane's Weston Diploma.

It's fairly warm paper. For anything larger than 5x7 I have taken to mounting my images in the cream colored museum 4 ply rag.

If you must have a whiter base, try Arches Plantane(sp?). With a little care in shopping it can be found for a LOT less than COT320.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You can get Arches Platine from Daniel Smith for $4.62 per sheet on orders of 25 sheets or more. The Weston paper is only around $1.25 per sheet for 50 sheets. I love Arches Platine for its weight, strength, pure whiteness and sizing; but its expensive for experimenting. So I've been trying the Weston paper for Kallitypes & other processes. If your negs are much larger than 8X10, be careful in handling it wet. The warm color is + or - depending on your perception. Otherwise, it makes for an attractive alternative.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Platine and Rives BFK are quite nice and BFK is pretty inexpensive. I've only used it for iron based processes, though (cyano, kallitype, vandyke). I like a thicker paper.

Makr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recently tested some sheets of the Crane Weston paper; I also think it is very good, and, if I understand correctly, inexpensive.

Rives BFK is alkaline buffered, and, I think, generally not such a good choice for siderotypes (iron salt prints). Arches Platine works well - if you get a good batch. A big disadvantage of this paper is, however, that bad batches are not that infrequent, and that they sometimes seem to tinker with the formulation. And, it is not cheap.

Fabriano papers (Artistico, maybe 5) are also worth a consideration; here in Europe they are noticeably cheaper than, for instance, Arches Platine, BUT they are alkaline buffered, and therefoere need an acid pre-treatment for most siderotypes.

Weston might really be a good choice to start with, particularly in the USA.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi View Post
    The Weston paper sounds perfect! Many thanks.

Jim, why doesn't this paper work for albumen? I have been using Strathmore 500, but it isn't a cheap paper, and isn't always easy to find.
    The paper can be use with albumen, but it is difficult to get the gloss which is typical of albumen prints.
    I use Strathmore 500, plate finish, single ply for albumen with great success.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin