Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,129   Online: 891

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Man, those folks at Elmer's are quick - here's the reply

"Elmer's Glue-All is not (and never was) made from casein. It is a compounded synthetic latex based glue. It is mainly polyvinyl acetate (PVA) resin dispersed in water and some soluble polyvinyl alcohol (PVOH). PVA polymer is made from vinyl/acetate monomer that can be manufactured from acetylene and acetic acid. Acetylene can be processed from natural gas or petroleum feedstock and acetic acid from the fermentation of alcohol. The viscosity is built in with a water-soluble thickener. The white color is due to the PVA resin particles dispersed in the liquid, which is water."

There goes that theory, so far as Elmer's is concerned.

The print at Gene's link certainly looks a lot like the casein prints on the unblinkingeye link I gave earlier. It's an interesting mystery.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think Carpenters White glue, and Elmers glue-all are two different products that are used for the same gluing applications.

Shooter
    Holga
    I went to a now defunct trade school for silkscreen and photo-offset in the 1980's called the Manhattan School of Printing. That was indeed the method used, BUT supposedly Elmers put additives in it that can mess things up. The chemical we used to sensitize the emulsion was sodium bichromate BUT dichromate works too the latter of the two is definitely carcinogenic. I can't find a chemical supplier who has it, been looking the past couple of days. The costs are pennies to the dollar as far as buying kits like Hunt Speedball make, the kits are great but pricey. The screens were stripped with a bleach / water solution in a photographic tray.
    Deadicated.Org is my site, I blog about my adventures in printing. I love this Forum, great info!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lukas Werth is an APUG member who makes wonderful casein prints, if you're interested. He also has a nice collection on Flickr. His process was also written about in one of the Post Factory Journals several years ago...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin