Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,600   Online: 646

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Carpenter's White Glue Process?

I just read a description of a vintage photographic print for sale. "Carpenter's White Glue Print." That's a new one on me! The print is American and from the early 40's. Anyone ever heard of the "glue process?"

Thanks,

Gene

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't heard of this as a direct print making technique, but white glue sensitized with dichromate is (or was) used routinely to make photographic silk screens. You coated the screen with the glue-dichromate mix, let it dry, exposed it through a coarse-screen halftone negative, washed out the unexposed resist, and printed. I suppose a gum-bichromate like printing process would be possible, using dyed or pigmented carpenters glue. Note that most carpenters glues now contain additives to reduce their solubility in water once they dry. Elmer's School Glue is an exception, and it seems to be similar to the old white carpenters glue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    I haven't heard of this as a direct print making technique, but white glue sensitized with dichromate is (or was) used routinely to make photographic silk screens. You coated the screen with the glue-dichromate mix, let it dry, exposed it through a coarse-screen halftone negative, washed out the unexposed resist, and printed. I suppose a gum-bichromate like printing process would be possible, using dyed or pigmented carpenters glue. Note that most carpenters glues now contain additives to reduce their solubility in water once they dry. Elmer's School Glue is an exception, and it seems to be similar to the old white carpenters glue.
    That sounds kind of cool. I might want to try that some day.
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.
    Carl Sandburg

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I too have come across white PVA glue sensitised with potassium dichromate as a screen printing emulsion. I have the details in a book somewhere. It is contact exposed using UV light and creates clear areas in the screen where the film was black and solid areas where the film was clear so that once printed, a positive image is formed. I think it is developed/hardened in a sodium bicarbonate solution and then the un-exposed areas are washed out in running water.
    This process is suitable for solvent based or water based inks as it is waterproof. It is removed from the screen with household bleach.

If it were adapted to pictorial use, it would be very high contrast as it is intended to be either solid or clear so the suggestion of using a halftone screen is good. As I recall, it is a light purple colour so additional pigment may be needed to contrast against the paper it is coated on.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene_Laughter View Post

I just read a description of a vintage photographic print for sale. "Carpenter's White Glue Print." That's a new one on me! The print is American and from the early 40's. Anyone ever heard of the "glue process?"

Thanks,

Gene

Gene,

You appear to have found a kill-thread mechanism. That could be useful to have at times!!

The only thing that comes to mind is that white glue has sometimes been recommended as a substitute for gum arabic in the gum bichromate, or direct carbon process. I played around with this myself many years ago, using plain white glue. This stuff is not waterproof, which I guess is what lets it work like other colloids.

I am not an avid gummist but in following discussions on the subject I have noticed that folks are using a wide variety of substances (polyvinyl, gloy, white glue, tempera, etc.) other than pure gum arabic in processes which they continue to call gum.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't white glue made from casein? There is a casein print process - I believe I've read about it on the unblinking eye - or maybe here.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format

PVAc

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    Isn't white glue made from casein? There is a casein print process - I believe I've read about it on the unblinking eye - or maybe here.
    juan
    No, Carpenter's White Glue was/is made with polyvinyl acetate. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpenter%27s_glue
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_acetate

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, this link shows Elmer's glue (white glue) to be a casein glue- "Casein is a milk-cheese phosphoprotein." Although there are other references that say Elmer's is no longer made from casein.

Here's an APUG thread on casein printing.

Perhaps your old reference was to a time when the glue was still made of casein.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just found an email I once received from someone at Elmer's products, so I've asked her if Elmer's is casein - or what she might know about casein glues. I'll post when she answers.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You can take a look at the "glue print" here:

http://tinyurl.com/2672wn

Gene

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin