Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,688   Posts: 1,482,356   Online: 783

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    You don't want more density in the shadows, just a lot more difference between shadows and highlights.

So I expose normally, and develop more (or use a staining developer).
    When you think you have the placement figured out, perhaps considering an additional slight reduction in exposure (say a half stop) along with the increased development. I think this would provide additional expansion of the scale that you (not you Ole, I'm just using your statement as a lead in to mine for the original post) are looking for.

Chuck

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    You don't want more density in the shadows, just a lot more difference between shadows and highlights.

So I expose normally, and develop more (or use a staining developer).
    I know nothing about alt processes, so I risk a "rediculous comment". Just thinking interms of the ZS.

When you think you have the placement figured out, perhaps considering an additional slight reduction in exposure (say a half stop) along with the increased development. I think this would provide some additional expansion of the scale that you (not you Ole, I'm just using your statement as a lead in to mine for dustym) are looking for.

Chuck

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    ...However, my experience is that it is more common to over-expose than under-expose when exposing and printing for alternative processes. The fact that you need a much higher contrast negative (requiring longer development time) can increase effective film speed by as much as a full stop. When I plan to develop negatives to a DR of 1.8 or higher I always use a meter reading that is 1.5X the nominal film speed....Sandy King
    Hey there Sandy!

On top of this, throw in that my exposures are usually 30 sec to 30 minutes long under the Redwoods, so due to resiprocity failure, my film stops acting "normal". I just end up increasing the exposure enough to finally kick up enough exposure in the shadows to register (on FP4) -- and this seems to create enough contrast...without much over-developing.

I will have to treat my recent negs from Yosemite differently, as those exposures rarely were over 2 seconds long.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Hey there Sandy!

On top of this, throw in that my exposures are usually 30 sec to 30 minutes long under the Redwoods, so due to resiprocity failure, my film stops acting "normal". I just end up increasing the exposure enough to finally kick up enough exposure in the shadows to register (on FP4) -- and this seems to create enough contrast...without much over-developing.

I will have to treat my recent negs from Yosemite differently, as those exposures rarely were over 2 seconds long.

Vaughn
    Vaughn,

What film are you using? With exposures that long you might want to consider a film like TMY, if you are not already using it. Compared to traditional films like TRI-X, FP4+, etc. TMY has very low reciprocity failure.

Doing any carbon printing these days? I am really doing some nice carbon work right now, printing a small portfolio of negatives I made on Gabriola Island (in the Georgia Straight near Vancouver) last summer. The relief I am getting is just fabulous, as good if not better than what I saw on your prints a few years ago. BTW, will you be going to APIS this summer? Would sure like to see some of your new work.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Vaughn,

What film are you using? With exposures that long you might want to consider a film like TMY...

Sandy King

Sandy, could you enlighten me? What is TMY?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TMY is Kodak Tmax 400 speed - TMX is 100 speed.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'd suggest printing a Stouffer 21-step density scale with the paper and actual VDB chemistry you plan to use pictorially. The printable negative density range will become apparent on that stepwedge test print. If you then adjust the print exposure so that the max d is step #1, the densities needed to realize visualizations of various print values/zones will become apparent and your in-camera exposures and film development can then be adjusted accordingly.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Sandy King's point about self masking is very important and indeed makes the Zone System/BTZS of limited relevance here. Because of self masking it's hard to hqave too much contrast for many alternative processes, at least with anything resembling a normal subject -- often, the film just won't give you that big a contrast range.

Cheers,

R

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Vaughn,

What film are you using? With exposures that long you might want to consider a film like TMY, if you are not already using it. Compared to traditional films like TRI-X, FP4+, etc. TMY has very low reciprocity failure.

Doing any carbon printing these days? ....BTW, will you be going to APIS this summer? Would sure like to see some of your new work.

Sandy King
    Oh, I am getting the hang of FP4's reciprocity failure rate and I think I am starting to use it to my advantage. But I do see the advantage of your suggestion. I am getting towards the end of my stash of FP4 I bought when the rumours of Ilford's bankruptsy first hit. We'll see.

I am doing some carbons, but I just finished up some platinum/palladium prints of Yosemite for a gallery, so that has been where my time has been going recently. But I will be doing some more carbons soon. I am planning an intro carbon workshop in the SF Bay Area for the later part of June, so I will be trying out a few things before giving that workshop. I will use B&S tissue as well as some home-made tissue for the workshop -- give the students the ease of using store-bought tissue , but tempt them with the "real" stuff!

I doubt I can make the APIS...I'd love to, but the cost of traveling so far for such a short time is just too much. Practicality demands that I put food on the table...those three boys of mine will start chewing on my legs if I don't keep their stomachs filled! I would love to see how well you have used the relief aspect of the process.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I doubt I can make the APIS...I'd love to, but the cost of traveling so far for such a short time is just too much. Practicality demands that I put food on the table...those three boys of mine will start chewing on my legs if I don't keep their stomachs filled! I would love to see how well you have used the relief aspect of the process.

Vaughn
    Too bad you can not come, but I understand (as best I can!!) the practical aspects of triplets.

But your carbon work is wonderful, and I hope in the near future you have an opportunity to show it in more places.

BTW, give me your snail mail address and I will send you a small (5X7) carbon print that has really nice relief.

Sandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin