Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,452   Posts: 1,570,358   Online: 1121

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knox gelatine

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi all, since I moved to Mexico, shipping costs for materials are eating my lunch money. I usually have done the sizing with 250 bloom gelatine. Today I saw a box of unflavored Knox gelatine and decided to buy it and test to see if it will work for pt/pd but I would really appreciate to know the experiences of someone who has used it. What bloom is it? processing tips? did it change the color of your prints? etc, etc. Later...........

Food grade gelatin is quite pure--I know carbon printers have found it perfectly adequate for making carbon "tissue". I don't know the bloom value.

But what paper are you using? I don't find any need to do extra sizing for Pt/Pd printing. There are at least half a dozen papers that work reliably with no extra preparation--though that can change at any moment when you get a new batch.---Carl

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (carlweese @ Sep 25 2002, 04:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Food grade gelatin is quite pure--I know carbon printers have found it perfectly adequate for making carbon &quot;tissue&quot;. I don&#39;t know the bloom value.

But what paper are you using? I don&#39;t find any need to do extra sizing for Pt/Pd printing. There are at least half a dozen papers that work reliably with no extra preparation--though that can change at any moment when you get a new batch.---Carl</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    I am using Guarro watercolor paper, looks like an 80#....very thin. Again I am stuck with what I can find here. I tried it without sizing and the print looked horrible. So I am trying with sizing now. If it does not work then I will just have to bite the bullet and get it from B&S when I order more stuff.
    Thanks Carl&#33;

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I&#39;ve used Knox gelatine for salted paper prints. Works fine for me.

Shooter
    Large Format
    cj, give more info please. What dilution you use? I used 30 grams in 1000 ml and it worked fine, but always want to have more information. How many coats do you use? what paper do you use.....? IOW give it up...

Jorge,
    I have used Knox gelatine to size prints for salt paper. I use the formula that mixes the gelatine with the salt--I&#39;m in process of moving and all my books are boxed, so I can&#39;t give you the exact formula, but it was listed in two different books. The formula was for small amounts to be brush coated, but I mixed enough to dip the paper in, since both the gelatine and salt are relatively cheap. I floated the paper and coated both sides, then hung it to dry. Coating both sides keeps the paper from curling. Paper was Fabriano Artistico. It worked great.
    Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks Ed. I did see the formulations for salted paper. You are not moving away from Austin are you?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I add 3 grams of gelatin to 100 ml of water and let it sit for a few minutes to swell. Then I stir in 400 ml of hot water to dissolve the gelatin. Size away. I would have to agree with Carl&#39;s question, though...why size a paper to be used for Pt?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oh, I use Cranes Kid Finish.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks a lot cjarvis&#33; I see yours and most everybody formulation is more dilute than what Dick Arentz reccomends in his book...30 gr of gelatin in 1000 ml. I am very surprised.

I was trying to size due to crappy paper....trying to get away from ordering from the US....no dice.....anyway, thanks for your response.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin