Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,710   Posts: 1,482,927   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hey Donald as I sit here wading through 4x5 negatives to choose which will be the "first" your experiential words echo through my head. I too have been prone to go a few steps further than what was called for to put it mildly. I sorta like the guy in the off road vehicle commercial that keeps hearing a voice that tells him "go further" repeatedly, finally he finds himself and vehicle floating on a raft in the middle of a great tropical river with what sounds like a waterfall in the distance. At that moment the ethereal voice pronounces "too FAR!" I hope I haven't gone too far with this one . Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try not to fry anything.....hmmmmm that's an idea.....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Richard, I'm gonna have to delete your entry somehow. You must understand nothing personal but.... I have knucklehead offsprings that might read your note and try it! .

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ok, I know by now I should have an image to show,but.....The electrician just finished the 240v60amp supply this p.m. and tomorrow I have to hang the luminare. However, I did fire the system up just now and everything works. I did fire up the light and WOW !!! @1000watts the light was BRIGHT! I didn't have the guts to go to 3000W and wouldn't deam of hitting the 6000W button. After my real job tomorrow I hang the luminare and the curtains (i may need lead ones) and if time permits try to knockout a step tablet exposure calibration on cot 320 .

Miles ...of anticipation

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNelson View Post
    Ok, I know by now I should have an image to show,but.....The electrician just finished the 240v60amp supply this p.m. and tomorrow I have to hang the luminare. However, I did fire the system up just now and everything works. I did fire up the light and WOW !!! @1000watts the light was BRIGHT! I didn't have the guts to go to 3000W and wouldn't deam of hitting the 6000W button. After my real job tomorrow I hang the luminare and the curtains (i may need lead ones) and if time permits try to knockout a step tablet exposure calibration on cot 320 .

Miles ...of anticipation
    Come on. Go for the gusto and see what happens when you hit the 6000 watt button! I could never have held off this long.

Course, I would never have dreamed of using a light-house bulb for exposing alternative processes!!

But I read somewhere that Fresson color prints are exposed with a 10,000 watt bulb, don't know what kind.

Sandy King

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Sandy, perhaps one day when I'm feeling ....fast...I wil throw on a welder's helmet and leaded gloves and push THAT button. For now I will be satisfied with using what the manual calls "low intensity setting" 1000Watts. Is there an "ideal" printing time with alt. printing? Is the quicker the better or should you spread the time out longer for ,say, dodging and burning? I will calibrate this pm and I need to target a "reasonable" exposure time (maybe...5 minutes?). Suggestions? I'm so anxious to see a pt/pl print that I thought....Just go out there and slap some coating on that paper ,dry it,stick any negative on that paper and slide into that vacuum frame, close and shield eyes, push the manual button and count to 180, retrieve the paper and process, all the time hoping for the best! At this point after all the delays I just want to Git-R-done.....

Hopefully something tonight !

Miles

p.s. I aint a feared of that there 6000W button I just can't figure out how I'll ever learn Carbon printing reading Braille....

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh and Sandy your right about the four color seperation(CMYK)gelatin/pigment process that uses a powerful (Bright!) carbon arc lamp to make the four exposures on the pigment coated paper which is developed in water and sawdust (Fresson print). Do you think that I might with my......nawwwwww

Miles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    This reminds me of a place where I used to work about 20 years ago. We used to make our own printed circuit boards and screen print our own front panels - both on a small scale.

A UV light is needed for both of these processes and the one we had was a 1000 watt bulb soldered directly to some twin core cable hanging from the ceiling - that's right, not even a socket fitting for the bulb!

We would set up whatever needed exposing, plug in the lamp, close eyes, switch on then find your way out of the small room which all of this happened in. From the outside, there was a bright glow around the door!

After the exposure time, which was usually about five minute, you had to close your eyes and go back into the room to find the switch to turn it off.

Health and Safety issues were not such a concern then as they are now.

We also had a mini gold plating line using gold cyanide which was made from a plastic lunch box with an old record player providing agitation movement - but that's another story.

Steve.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How do you know how bright this thing is?

Jeepers, 240v at 60 amps is over 14K watts. You might want to plan for the narco squad showing up, when they see the spike in your electrical bills. You could serve them tea and pastries.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    MV Nelson wrote: I will calibrate this pm and I need to target a "reasonable" exposure time (maybe...5 minutes?). Suggestions?

I have an Amergraph platemaker with a 1200 watt Mercury lamp. Most of my exposures are running about 6 minutes for PtPd. My exposure unit has a built-in integrator that keeps track of fluctuations in light output, so I don't set 'minutes' as my target but 'units' of light. I would expect yours also has an integrator. Play with the integrator/timer (without negs or sensitized paper) until you determine how many units gives you about 5 minutes? That's how I began my calibration process, and arrived at a standard of about 30 units for most negs.
    N

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNelson View Post

Miles ...of anticipation
    You may well find that even the 1000 watt setting is a bit much - I've got 6 15w BLB fluorescent tubes and I get 6-8 mins as a standard exposure time with my pt/pd prints. When I took my pt/pd seminar in New York, they had a Kino-Flo lightbank to use for an exposure unit - it had eight 40w tubes, and our exposure times were under 2 minutes at full output. For a contact printing process, this is TOO fast, as it makes it hard to control changes in exposure. Also, at that kind of light intensity, we were running into problems with the prints cooking down too fast, and having contrast issues among other things, because they were getting too hot and drying out before the exposure was done.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin