Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,944   Posts: 1,557,723   Online: 1211

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

best uv light source wattage

after reading a lot of post here about pt/pd printing I decided to give it a go.. Following the advice that there were UV (mercury halide) platemakers out there I found a NuArc VFC43 model on ebay that I captured for $128.00(i was shocked that is $600 freight cost and the phsyical size of this baby!). The unit is in great condition and fully functional. It has 1000, 3000, 6000 watt settings and light integrator. I am about to do my first step tablet calibration print as per Dick Arentz book. Everything I am doing is a first mind you. Is there any best wattage setting? I assume 3000 and 6000 watts are going to print signifigantly shorter times than the 1000 setting but are there any other benifits or problems with higher wattage? Will there be contrast, colour, DMax, etc changes with using different wattages? Any help is appreciated. Will I need sunscreen lotion for the 6000watt setting .

Thanks Miles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I suppose the answer is test and see... .

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNelson View Post
    I suppose the answer is test and see... .

Yes, not many of us have one of those big boys. You are pretty much on your own from here on out, as it were.

But let us know how the unit works out. And be careful. You are dealing with coastal lighthouse type radiation when you get into the 6000 watt range. Your neighbours are going to be really curious about the level of radiation from your dwellig. I can just hear them now, "what's he doing in there" and " Sounded like someone was groaning".

Sandy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Yes, not many of us have one of those big boys. You are pretty much on your own from here on out, as it were.

But let us know how the unit works out. And be careful. You are dealing with coastal lighthouse type radiation when you get into the 6000 watt range. Your neighbours are going to be really curious about the level of radiation from your dwellig. I can just hear them now, "what's he doing in there" and " Sounded like someone was groaning".

Sandy
    Now you've got me nervous... I honestly didn't know what I was purchasing and really didn't expect to "win" it on ebay at $128.00. I haven't fired it up yet because (surprise!) I needed a 60amp 240 volt outlet which is being installed monday. The dual vacuums look brand new. I wish I had this vacuum frame when I did dye transfers. As for the glow, the nearest neighbor is a few wooded acres away. I imagine the eery glow in the forest might arise some curiousity. I don't imagine that I will be going anywhere near the 6000 watt setting. I'm not that curious. Meanwhile I am practicing coating techniques with brushes and mock solutions and paper so that I'll be ready for when the big moment comes. BTW tomorow a.m. I'll process the first sheets of tmy using extreme minimal agitation exposed per your generous BTZS donation .

Miles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well you can pay for the electric bill on that beast by growing a little hemp. Then the problem becomes the local authorities..

Be sure and set up a stand renting welding goggles at the driveway to your home. I am sure the neighbors will want to come and watch the meter spin. Heck Al Gore is a piker with those $1200 per month electric bills of his.

You are definitely my kind of guy. Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess...
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Miles, remember to let us see what you can do with this seventh wonder.
    Makes the 8 BL tubes i have coming look miniscule. :rolleyes:

jan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    guys, guys, guys,...My level of anxiety has mounted exponentially enough :0.

I think I'll let the electrian kick it up tomorrow and I'll lay back as the spotter... I hit my optometrist buddy up for some of those post dilation glasses... The good news is the thing looks fully automatic... put the materials in the frame, close, turn on the vacuum, push one of the 8 memory channels and run outta there screeming "fire in the hole..." Thanks for the humor all. I'll keep you posted.

Miles

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh Donald, the local authorities is my son and law, besides Florida hasn't quite gotten to where California is with "medicinal use issues..."

Miles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MVNelson View Post
    Oh Donald, the local authorities is my son and law, besides Florida hasn't quite gotten to where California is with "medicinal use issues..."

Miles
    Miles,

Seriously this brings to mind my experiences when I created my 3 second wonder. (when I converted my 200 watt Durst enlarger to a 1000 watt dehydrater). To grasp the implications of this, you would have had to seen the wonder and amazement on my face when my first enlargement (f45 at 3 seconds) turned the print surface...you've got it, stark featureless black.

The smoldering edges were a bit hard to pick up off the easel...that is after my vision returned.

Good luck to you.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you are not using it your family can open a 30 second tanning salon. I had a camera enlarger with a 6000watt light source. It is like owning your own miniature sun.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin