Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,531   Posts: 1,543,978   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vandyke two coats or one

Does anybody in this forum coat paper twice before exposure on the Vandyke
    process if so is there a longer fixing and washing period.

rgds
    Dustym
    The camera cannot lie, but it cannot help being selective.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always coat twice.
    + Make one coat
    + Let stand one minute
    + Make another coat
    + Let stand one minute
    + Hairdry for 2 minutes (ref the other question about moisture)

It's easy to see the difference : just out the second coat only on half the paper and print... You can get really, really deep brown with Vandyke with double coat and /just/ the moisture level...

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I have been double coating for a while, which works great although you have to be careful of staining or migrating emulsion. Since the coating is heavier, alot of it is sitting on the paper surface and when you do the initial water clearing the darker areas can migrate to the paper white areas (especially if you have thick borders).
    However, just recently I have been doing an intial distilled water coating before a single coat of sensitizer. Dana Sullivan at B&S suggested doing this especially in dry environments. The water opens up the paper and once the paper has dried, it will absorb slightly more sensitizer. So far, I have getting pretty decent results with just one coat of sensitizer.
    As far as using a hairdryer, I wouldn't use any heat. I've heard that it can cause problems (can't recall exactly what).

david

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by dustym View Post
    Does anybody in this forum coat paper twice before exposure on the Vandyke
    process
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dustym View Post
    if so is there a longer fixing and washing period
    No.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    ...So far, I have getting pretty decent results with just one coat of sensitizer...
    I'm pretty skeptical about that. Don't get me wrong -> I'm not implying that you aren't getting decent results, but I simply don't believe that you are able to get the same Dmax as if you were double coating -> with just one coat (using standard sensitizer)... BTW, by my (pretty subjective) standards, a decent print has to show the maximum black capable with that particular process - unless it's a foggy landscape and/or deliberate high key image...

The pre-wet trick is a nice one; it can be used in conjunction with washing face down...

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I single coat. I have experimented with double coating and when I measure the D-max, there is no difference, so I don't waste the time and materials.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I single coat. I have experimented with double coating and when I measure the D-max, there is no difference, so I don't waste the time and materials.
    Sorry Jim, then probably there's something wrong with your exposure time... You're either exposing not enough (double coating usually needs more exposure due to self masking) or exposing too much to the point of solarization and loosing dmax. I never managed to get the good dmax with single coating - unless I tone with gold -> gold toning improves dmax a lot. And please note that when I say good dmax I really mean it... (log 1.35 - 1.4) What paper do you use? I use Bergger COT 320. Whose FAC do you use? I use B&S's. Maybe there's something wrong with my materials!?

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I never managed to get the good dmax with single coating - unless I tone with gold -> gold toning improves dmax a lot. And please note that when I say good dmax I really mean it
    Okay, now it all makes sense. thanks Loris. I have just started using Gold toner and now I realize why I'm getting decent dmax with one coat.

david

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even with gold toner double coating does a big difference in dmax. I just did a single coating test last night and it doesn't compare with a doulble coated.
    Guillaume

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili View Post
    Even with gold toner double coating does a big difference in dmax. I just did a single coating test last night and it doesn't compare with a doulble coated.
    Guillaume
    I agree. Double coating gives better DMAX and tonality for me.

Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin