Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,532,000   Online: 1189

Shooter
    Holga
    Images

Coating extra large prints

hello

I'm going to try making some large 16x20 Van Dykes. I have been using puddle pushers for a while and happy but, for this size, I'll need to have a custom one made. However, I'm also considering getting a Richardson 'Magic Brush' 3" instead. Does anyone have any advice about coating for prints this size? I'm thinking that a brush might just work easier?

thanks
    david

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    David,

I use a 4" Magic Brush for my 20 x 24 Palladium prints. They work wonderfully. Lessons learned: it's quite a bit of chemistry and though you want to get it around quickly it must be controlled as a 4" brush has some weight to it--much more than the 3" I found. I ended up putting some chemistry on the table on the first one.

The Magic Brush will work wonderfully though. I have not tried a puddle pusher in that size to compare.

Good luck,

Monty

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've coated 16x20 platinums with a puddle pusher, but the Magic brush is better. Get the 4" though not the 3".
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I use a 3" for 8x20 and it works well. Of course it is a narrower format. At 16x20 I would imagine the 4" work be a better choice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have coated up to 20X24" in vandyke, kallitype and pt./pd. with the Magic Brush and the 4" one is definitely the size you need.

And BTW, anyone know of a good deal on the 4" 9010 brush right now?

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The only place I can find the 4" brush right now is Jerry's Artarama, which has them for $65.99 . Pearl Paint carries Richeson brushes in the store, up to the 2" size, but they are considerably more expensive - I think Jerry's has the 2" for about $25, and Pearl has it for $42 in the store. I shudder to think what they would want for the 4". I tried Utrecht (they don't carry them on their website), Cheap Joe's also doesn't stock them above a 2", and DixieArt's website page for the Richeson brushes is on the fritz and takes you back to the homepage, so I can't see which sizes or what price they have.

Vegas/mysterious mohave co. az, Big Pine Key Fla.
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks FC,

Just ordered the 4 "
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    thanks to all for your good advice. I've also put in my order to Jerry's for a 4" before the mad rush.

david

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I saw a few at a local exellent art supply store in st paul that had a few 4" 9010 brushes in stock, were $75.00 each, but they are having a sale right now, dont know the discount off hand. I also get mylar neg sleeves in packs of 100, 11x14 are 20.00 or so for the bag of 100, they have larger sizes also. great folks to deal with.

www.wetpaintart.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin