Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,169   Online: 882

Shooter
    35mm

19th century processes

If you want to reproduce a 19th century photo process such as salt prints or albumen prints.How do you determine what paper to use so it looks and feels like the original
    thanks zgan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I suppose the best thing would be to walk into a store and start fondling the paper with an original in hand. Of course, this doesn't guarantee that the paper will actually work...

That said, I can tell you that for Albumen printing the best choice and most "authentic" feeling paper is Strathmore 500 1-ply Plate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    You do research to find out what qualities the paper of the time exhibited.
    Most papers of the 19th century were sized with gelatin, but not all. Also, they were generally very light in weight.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Motamedi View Post
    That said, I can tell you that for Albumen printing the best choice and most "authentic" feeling paper is Strathmore 500 1-ply Plate.
    Is it readily available from the usual suspects, or do you have a tip about a supplier?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Chazzy, there are loads of threads about papers in this forum, so do a little searching and you'll find tons of useful information from the folks here about which papers work and which don't.

Yesterday's Papers, by Martin Reed of Silverprint is a good place to start for historical info. So is Alternative Photography

I've been using Cotman 90gsm paper for kallitype and cyanotype. Bockingford doesn't work for kallitype, at least IME. A friend has had good results with The Langton HP for salties.
    Last edited by kevs; 03-21-2007 at 07:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correcting links
    testing...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The best price I've found on Strathmore 500 1-ply Plate finish for albumen printing has been online at Jerry's Artarama in quantities of 25 sheets or more.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin