Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,495   Online: 927

Shooter
    Multi Format

Incorrect FO solution

OK, I messed up. I've been meaning to mix up some more FO for some time, I had an spare hour today and took the chance.

Mixed-up 13.5 gms FO, 2 gms EDTA, and 50mls of water. Yes, perhaps you can see my balls-up. The FO went into solution very easily (about 10 mins), but I now have 65 mls of about 22% solution. Do I: Live with my mistake and adjust drop count, or does anyone see an issue with me re-heating the solution and risk adding another 3 gms to bring it up to around 27%. I've read that re-heating FO is not a particularly good thing to do.

Is a 22% solution going to require a significant adjustment?

(Is my maths correct?)

Many thanks all.

Geoff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Either approach would work, I think. I have always thought that since you allow the ferric oxalate/metal solution to dry in the paper fibers anyway (de-watering in other words) that obsessing about solution strength when you are close to where you need to be is probably not worth the worry. The main worry is to make sure you have roughly the proper proportions of FO and metal. So I think I would just adjust my FO drop count up 1 drop per every 4 and call it good. (27/22 = 122.7%)Try it and see. I'll bet it will be just fine. Plus you don't have to sweat any possible damage to the FO by reheating.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Clay.

It was definitely one of my more why-am-I-so-stupid moments. I was rather chuffed at having clear solution after 10 mins, and only realised what I'd done when I was decanting it. Oh well...

I will do as you suggest. My drop count for 8x10 pd is 20:20, so dealing with an additional 5 drops of liquid even I can deal with. I have some of the older FO so will do a side-by-side, but you're right: it is just the ratio that matters, not the % so all should be fine.

Thanks again

Geoff

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin