Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,148   Online: 1088

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What causes this in Traditional cyanotype?

I mixed up a bit too much sensitised solution so I was running around my abode trying to find random paper etc to use the stuff on as I'm experimenting anyway.
    I remembered one website said you could use it on natural fibre fabrics so I found some scrap cotton canvas and I was dripping the sensitiser solution on it and i noticed the drops formed yellow-green (which appears to be the normal colour judging by the two-dozen different papers I did previous to the fabric) but the edges of the drops went slightly more blue-green. I finished making it fairly even and the whole fabric went from a large splodge of yellow-green to a bluer green.

So what could cause the sensitising solution to go blue without exposure to UV? I was sensitising under a 15watt tungsten bulb which was about 2 metres away from the papers/fabrics so that shouldn't have caused it, I think. I might try printing with it anyway if it's dry by tomorrow even though I suspect it's completely wrong

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh dear the fabric has now gone totally dark blue Oh well, nothing to lose trying to print it tomorrow I guess... Will update either way.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds like the canvas is fogging. You need to find a more neutral PH material to work on, either that or treat the canvas before sensitizing with a bath of 5% hydrochloric acid.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    yeah I just tried printing it, albeit I didn't leave it out for as long as I should have and it has developed a print on it but without any good highlights. Next time I'll plan a bit better and give it another try. Might be nice to try and acidify the canvas, stretch it, sensitise it and print it one day.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Stranger and stranger...after it dried, the highlights have gone a funny colour. The back of the fabric where the sensistiser was has gone the same funny colour.
    http://www.stargazy.org/photos/cyano...fabric.med.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard that it really depends on what kind of fabric you're talking about. Anything but clean, high-grade silk or cotton will have all sorts of funny processing chemicals and impurities in it. That's what I heard anyway.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That yellow tint in the highlights is staining caused by unexposed sensitizer. Perhaps you wash time was not long enough.
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Christopher Breitenstein[/FONT]<br>

Http://www.wetlabphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    but that yellow stain didn't appear until after washing. It sort of "developed" to that yellow. Is that still sensitiser?

Shooter
    Multi Format

Do not print Cyanotype on painting canvas!

Akki, that particular canvas is probably coated with something that chemically interacts with Cyanotype sensitizer. If it's a piece of canvas for oil painting then the coating is highly alkaline gesso (traditional: rabbit skin glue + titanium dioxide + calcium carbonate, modern: acrylic medium + titanium dioxide + calcium carbonate) and there's no way to make decent cyanotypes on that material - calcium carbonate is cyanotype killer! You should use perfectly pure and unsized cotton and/or silk for cyanotype. Some pure cotton fabrics come with sizing -> you can get rid of the sizing by boiling and rinsing the fabric a couple of times (fresh water each time). Watch for your water too; if it's alkaline, you may add a pinch of citric acid in your wash water to acidify it.

Hope this helps,
    Loris.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is more or less pure cotton canvas as in the material not the artist's medium. We bought it on a huge roll for re-covering theatre flats (large background type canvas & wood things) and I got the offcuts for free. It's not been sized or gessoed or anything of the sort. Just hadn't been washed as I was in a bit of a rush in the circumstances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin