Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,363   Online: 1047

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Bostick - Sullivan: reliable?

I'd never heard of this company before but clicked on a banner ad here. They have pretty good prices on cyanotype / van dyke kits (e.g. a package deal for both for $42, claims to give 250 8x10s for the cyanotype kit and 100ml of vandyke solution).

Have any of you ordered from them? I'm pretty close to doing so, but want to hear if they are a reputable company first.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, absolutely!

I've bought a few things from them, most recently the bellows patch kit. Working on the 7x17" bellows...
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very reliable. They pretty much were the place for alt process for many years. The experts on Plat/Pd. Order with confidence.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    B&S is a reputable / serious company. I ordered many times from them, never had any problem.

BTW, buying the raw materials (Ammonium Iron(III) Citrate, Potassium Ferricyanide and Silver Nitrate) and mixing the solutions yourself is much much more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    I'd never heard of this company before but clicked on a banner ad here. They have pretty good prices on cyanotype / van dyke kits (e.g. a package deal for both for $42, claims to give 250 8x10s for the cyanotype kit and 100ml of vandyke solution).

Have any of you ordered from them? I'm pretty close to doing so, but want to hear if they are a reputable company first.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Loris, yeah, I realize that about the chemistry. I just figure I'll try a small kit with pre-measured quantities first to see how I like it; saves the trouble of weighing out quantities (I don't have a scale yet) or mixing up huge batches of stock solution and doing dilutions.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've found them to be totally reliable (including international shipping) and really helpful on the phone. 100% recommended!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They are very reliable. I got a bonky batch of ferric oxalate from them, and didn't discover this for six months after I purchased it. I called Melanie, and she cheerfully and quickly replaced the chemical. IOW, no worries about B&S. They are great people.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Kevin Sullivan is one of THE most knowledgeable people in the industry. And he is a helluva nice guy too.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Are you kidding?

If you can't count on them, then who?

Just wanted to second everyone else's sentiment.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wonderful customer service. There was a mixup on the shipping from them of a Palladium kit I ordered, and they sent me a whole replacement kit plus some extras, at no charge. Great people to deal with. Plus, they sometimes offer specials just for APUG folks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin