Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,750   Online: 1109

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Question for chemistry wizards

One of which I am not...

I found a bottle of EDTA (Ethylenedinitrilotetraacetic acid) in the shop and I wanted to know if I should buy it or not. I think it's 1 kg and it costs 35 euros (45 US$). On the bottle you can read: "Ethylenedinitrilotetraacetic acid, disodium salt dihydrate". Is it good for photographic use ? Is this a good price ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In 30 years the only time I've used EDTA is in colour chemistry, a poster in the articles section seems to use it extensively in his B&W reversal processing.

Price wise it is cheap to buy, that seems expensive.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I always thought that EDTA stood for Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George -

Do you actually have a use for it? If not, then whether the price is reasonable is irrelevant.

A 500g container costs US$17 at B&S, so my reaction would be to think that the price is a bit high.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George;

That is a good price but probably more than you need. At first glance, I thought it read NTA. For anyone that read the initial post, sorry. I reedited.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Na2 EDTA (disodium EDTA, there's also a different compound: Na4 EDTA -> tetrasodium EDTA... These are aliases, not proper chemical names BTW.) is a chelation agent which is very useful if you're doing iron based alternative processes such as Pt/Pd, Kallitype, Vandyke, Agryrotype, New Chrysotype. It's commonly used as the primary "acidic" clearing bath (at 2-5% strenght). Na4 EDTA is/may be used later as secondary alkaline clearing bath (often mixing it with 2-5% Sodium Sulfite). You need an acidic first clearing bath with iron processes. If not, residual unexposed iron may react with the -OH functional group of the alkali solution and form insoluble Ferric Hydroxide which will stain the paper yellow and won't wash out since it is insoluble.

I can buy a kg of this compound for just $5 here in Istanbul.

Hope this helps,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colrehogan View Post
    I always thought that EDTA stood for Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid.
    Diaminoethanetetraacetic acid
    Edetic acid
    Edetate
    Ethylenedinitrilotetraacetic acid
    Versene
    Ethylene diamine tetracetic acid

These are the names Wikipedia mentions that are used for it...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    One of which I am not...

I found a bottle of EDTA (Ethylenedinitrilotetraacetic acid) in the shop and I wanted to know if I should buy it or not. I think it's 1 kg and it costs 35 euros (45 US$). On the bottle you can read: "Ethylenedinitrilotetraacetic acid, disodium salt dihydrate". Is it good for photographic use ? Is this a good price ?
    g'day george

what would you use it for?

distilled water may be of more use in the darkroom, and it's really cheap

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was intendig to use it as a clearing bath for pt/pd prints... I need 50g for each lt of clearing bath, so with a kg of it I can make 20 lt of clearing bath.

Loris, I think that when I come to Istanbul (not Constantinople, tum, di-tum, di-tum) I'll buy some EDTA... for the time being, I have no choice... Could there be two kinds of it (this one I found seems quite "pure", since it's sold for chemistry labs, in a nice bottle etc)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kalimera Yorgos,

See:
    Bereket Kimya, http://www.bereketkimya.com/iletisim.html
    (The picture on top, it's very close to Galata Bridge)
    For buying chemical compounds in Istanbul. Right next to Bereket Kimya there's another store for chemicals: Balmumcu Kimya.

Yassou,
    Loris.

P.S. Do not mix it all in once, mix fresh before each session.

Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    I was intendig to use it as a clearing bath for pt/pd prints... I need 50g for each lt of clearing bath, so with a kg of it I can make 20 lt of clearing bath.

Loris, I think that when I come to Istanbul (not Constantinople, tum, di-tum, di-tum) I'll buy some EDTA... for the time being, I have no choice... Could there be two kinds of it (this one I found seems quite "pure", since it's sold for chemistry labs, in a nice bottle etc)...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin