Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,398   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I saw one of these large platinum prints at Photo Paris last year when i met mike smith at the stand, they did look excellent but from what i recall they were not as contrasty as those shown on the web, but that usually happens i suppose.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I don't think you can make multiple exposures on the same coating, but I've never tried. It would make more sense to coat, expose, process, re-coat, re-expose, re-process as long as the paper can handle it. That would also take care of some of the registration issues.
    Yeah, if you just try to re-expose on the same coating, you would very quickly get to solarization or bronzing. There comes a point with overexposed blacks, that it isn't black anymore. They must be re-coating and then re-exposing. Hey, if it works for them, great, but I am very happy with what I've got working in PtPd.

If I have one complaint it's that I sometimes don't get as much smoothness in skin tones, and this can vary print-to-print depending on all the personal variables we all put up with.

Neal

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I forgot to say that I consider Dick Arentz the producer of the best Pt/Pd prints I have seen.
    And he also makes prints from digital inkjet negatives!

And not to take anything away from Dick but there are better platinum printers in the world, IMO, but I'm splitting hairs here so to speak.

I think if Michael says that the prints are what they are then I would accept his word for it. I've not seen the prints yet first hand but the web versions look stunning.

I am curious to know how the multiple negative system works but I suspect it is something akin to contrast masks used in other printing disciplines like silver gelatin or Ilfochrome/Cibachrome.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A final coating of snake oil is all that is needed to increase the DMAX. It is hard to imagine a 2.1 on a matte paper, but I'll take their word on that. I don't use a densitometer to evaluate print quality.

From the sales pitch: "but platinum prints can be as rich as silver prints (those by Irving Penn are a good example)". So, if the goal is to make platinum prints look like silver prints, why not just print on Azo? Oh, that's right, they don't make it anymore... IMO, Irving Penn's platinum prints are just painful to look at. Yes, great DMAX, VERY high contrast and mostly lacking any nuance in between. Definitely what he wanted, and he worked and worked until he got it, but it's a look that just doesn't appeal to me.

MAS is a master salesman and The Pitch is on big time. For anyone wanting to drop $6,500+ on these prints, go for it! And more power to MAS for finding another ad campaign for his work.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

ultimate plan

I now have the ultimate plan to dispute global warming. All I need to do is get MAS to say that he believes in it and then other people will disagree.

Granted I am being flippant (sadly a common occurence). But I have seen Michael's (and Paula's) prints. I own one of Michael's prints. And I believe that they produce excellent work. I can't imagine these being different. That being said $6500 is alot of money for me.

In the context of full disclosure I own one Pt. print and that is by APUG's own Jorge. I own Azo prints by Alex Hawley and MAS. I am very interested in some of Kerik's work as well and hope to see it in person at some point at a workshop.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree with Kerik - if you want it to look like a silver gelatin print, just print on silver gelatin paper. Why go to all that effort to make platinum look like silver? I like both kinds of prints; I currently choose to print palladium because I like the look and feel, and I want to explore the medium and what it can do for me that is different from silver gelatin printing. I'm sure that if I monkeyed around enough with multiple exposures and multiple developer baths, I could make a silver gelatin print look like platinum - but why?

I've seen quite a few pt/pd and alt prints in my time (geez..I'm sounding like my dad...and with a growing bald patch on my head I'm starting to look like him too..but I digress...)

Anywho, the two best pt/pd prints I have ever seen were by Dick Arentz (he invited me to demonstate my pt on baryta method in Santa Fe a few years back) and by Kerik Kouklis. I saw a show of his at 8 Elm photo in Toronto. There may be better modern printers and prints out there but I haven't seen them yet.

Among the worst pt prints I have ever seen were by Irvin Penn. They were displayed at the Corkin gallery in Toronto. They looked like really big Xerox copies...with yellow stains.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There are many copier of penn print some are really goos other quite badly processed. But Penn print were at his time a new way to print platinum because of he got pure white and pure deep black in his print. For sure a second layer help to get smoother deeper black.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use Hydrocote Polyshield Clear Gloss (or Satin) Polyurethane wood finish (non-yellowing) for that. (I apply it with a #30 Meyer coating rod - or is it Meyer?) I must admit that I usually don't prefer to coat Pt/Pd prints with that stuff - it just doesn't feel right if you know what I mean...

Regards,
    Loris.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik View Post
    A final coating of snake oil is all that is needed to increase the DMAX. It is hard to imagine a 2.1 on a matte paper, but I'll take their word on that. I don't use a densitometer to evaluate print quality.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

deep blacks and more

If anyone wants to see the full potential of what the platinum process is capable of they should buy one Mr. Nze's prints. And very reasonable too!!
    Best, Peter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin