Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,365   Online: 1026

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Variation on Platinum printing?

I read this blurb on the Smith/Chamlee site:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/ht...numprints.html

"To make these prints our original negatives are scanned; then five enlarged digital negatives made from each one are printed in register with multiple exposures—a lengthy and arduous process."

I think I have an idea of what it is but being curious I'd like to know if anyone is familiar with the details of their process?

Sounds lengthy and arduous. Must be good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    5 passes on *translucent handmade Japanese paper*!? How come? (w/o crippling the paper I mean...)

Besides, why make 5 passes when you can get max density obtainable from a *matte surface* in just one pass? Or, are they implying that their Pt prints have log 2.1 dmax!?

Sounds like marketing b...lurb

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

salto platinums

This work is done at Salto in Belgium and has been discussed previously at some length both here and on the Large Format list.

I have not seen these Platinum Prints. Though my understanding is that George Tice and others have had prints made using the process at Salto.

Personally, with the high cost (3 digital negs + a shadow mask) involved, I don't think that Tice, Smith, Chamlee and others would be making the investment if the work was not more than just a marketing blurb.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I found the related message by M. Smith:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum54/3...tml#post411800

I find hard to believe that they're able to get "dmax just over log 2.0" on matte paper - perhaps they're treating the surface before or after printing!?

Anyway, I guess the main key word here is "digital"...

Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    This work is done at Salto in Belgium and has been discussed previously at some length both here and on the Large Format list.

I have not seen these Platinum Prints. Though my understanding is that George Tice and others have had prints made using the process at Salto.

Personally, with the high cost (3 digital negs + a shadow mask) involved, I don't think that Tice, Smith, Chamlee and others would be making the investment if the work was not more than just a marketing blurb.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the link Loris. I don't scour every posting made on the forums so I tend to miss stuff like this. Anyways from Smith's description it sounds like the paper is coated once then several exposures made through varying densities of the same neg? I thought maybe it might be a process like an 'x over y' (ie gum over plat) where the paper was coated, exposed with a neg (mask) of one density then processed and then repeated for each separate neg (mask).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I suspect they're doing multiple coatings of pt/pd, varying the contrast ratio and pt/pd mix of each coating. That said, I don't know why folks think you can't get good dmax with a single-coated pt/pd print. I can get plenty dark dmax, with a nice tonal range through my highlights with single-coated pd, no contrast agent. Bear in mind who is making the statements about "pd doesn't look good" - folks who drink the Amidol and worship at the church of Azo. To them, black isn't black enough unless it has negative reflectance.

I don't think you can make multiple exposures on the same coating, but I've never tried. It would make more sense to coat, expose, process, re-coat, re-expose, re-process as long as the paper can handle it. That would also take care of some of the registration issues.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The prints on the site look absolutely amazing. Somewhat surreal from a purist stand-point, but nevertheless stunning.

As I read the description, it does sound like a single coating with multiple exposures. My guess (and that is all it is), is that the multiple exposures would allow for more local control of tones than a single negative would allow...and might be a more precise way to manipulate those tones. I am thinking of all those small dark to black areas thoughout the images.

Vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I would have to see some prints from a real master platinum prjnter made the traditional way and this way to believe any claims of a superior print using this D------ method.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I forgot to say that I consider Dick Arentz the producer of the best Pt/Pd prints I have seen.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin