Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,660   Posts: 1,481,544   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let me first point out a small irritation I feel: whereas the term "Kallitype" is a generic name of an iron salt process, "Ziatype" is a commercial term, a trademark for a combination of methods of the print-out pd/pt process which were composed by Richard Sullivan with the help of others. I would prefer to speak of print-out palladium here instead of using a trademark.

Second, print-out pd/pt needs quite low-contrast negatives, in fact, it works best with a negative which also prints well as a salt print. Kallitypes allow to print a far greater range of densities. Also, as Nze points out, with the respective toner they tend to be indistinguishable from pt/pd prints. The downside is rather long and delicate processing, with a nagging awareness that some silver which might compromise long-term stability might still be lurking somwhere in the print.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth View Post

Second, print-out pd/pt needs quite low-contrast negatives, in fact, it works best with a negative which also prints well as a salt print.

Hi Lukas I am quite surprise. I need longer DR neragtive for my ziatype and albumen print than for traditional palladium and kalitype; I can easily print a 2.6DR negative in POP palladium process where with kalitype I better be on the DR2
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nze View Post
    Hi Lukas I am quite surprise. I need longer DR neragtive for my ziatype and albumen print than for traditional palladium and kalitype; I can easily print a 2.6DR negative in POP palladium process where with kalitype I better be on the DR2
    Yes, Nze, that's what I mean, too. Longer DR = low contrast. I'd even say that the best neg for print-out palladium without contrast agent is closer to 3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Werth View Post
    Yes, Nze, that's what I mean, too. Longer DR = low contrast. I'd even say that the best neg for print-out palladium without contrast agent is closer to 3.
    Oh god, yes, I just realize I somehow got a twist in my mind. print-out processes are low-contrast and need a high-contrastr neg, oc course. Sorry for this, and thanks for the correction.

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That's ok Lukas
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin