Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,676   Posts: 1,481,952   Online: 1061

Shooter
    35mm

Gelatin & Kallitypes

Hello,

My main objective is to create more detailed and sharper Kallitypes. If I were to use a hot pressed water color paper, then coat it with only gelatin, would it be possible to apply the sensitized emulsion on top of the gelatin layer? After this, proceed with the normal exposure and developing.

I was thinking this, combined with a nice hot pressed paper, could possibly give a sharper Kallitype.

Thanks,
    Martin

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post
    Hello,

My main objective is to create more detailed and sharper Kallitypes. If I were to use a hot pressed water color paper, then coat it with only gelatin, would it be possible to apply the sensitized emulsion on top of the gelatin layer? After this, proceed with the normal exposure and developing.

I was thinking this, combined with a nice hot pressed paper, could possibly give a sharper Kallitype.

Thanks,
    Martin
    Martin,

What papers are you using now? Have you tried Arches Platine?

Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Maritn,
    I tried to use baryta coated paper, the one you can get from PF. Prints were indeed sharper then Arches Platine Prints but Dmax was quite poor, at least in my inexperienced hands. You may want to experiment with regular photo paper.
    Jan

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Martin,

What papers are you using now? Have you tried Arches Platine?

Don Bryant
    I have tried some paper from Stonehenge when practicing. I have not used Arches Platine yet. I'll put it on my list of papers to try. Although, I'm more concerned if the gelatin coating would be possible.

-Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by chrobry View Post
    Maritn,
    I tried to use baryta coated paper, the one you can get from PF. Prints were indeed sharper then Arches Platine Prints but Dmax was quite poor, at least in my inexperienced hands. You may want to experiment with regular photo paper.
    Jan
    Hi Jan,

Yes, I saw the PF baryta papers, and I would like to try them, but honestly, they seem fairly expensive for an uncoated paper. Anyone know another source for baryta?

Also, what do you mean by "regular photo paper"?

-Martin

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'd suggest fixing an un-exposed sheet of enlarging paper, then try coating it. It might work better on un-hardened paper such as those frequently used for Bromoil - see David Lewis paper at PF. When I get a chance, I'll try this experiment.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Martin,
    I do not know any other source of baryta coated paper. By "regular photo paper" I meant what doughowk described in more detailes.
    good luck,

Jan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Today I tried printing Kallitype on photo paper & the results were mixed. The good news - clarity of subject was greatly improved. Bad news - have trouble controlling solarization of shadows even though I used fresh gold-toner before fixing. I used BromoPrint paper which is non super glossy (matt?). The toner showed very little effect unlike prints on Arches Platine where color tends towards purplish black. I think I'll next try a glossy paper to see if it works better especially with the toner.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Today I tried printing Kallitype on photo paper & the results were mixed. The good news - clarity of subject was greatly improved. Bad news - have trouble controlling solarization of shadows even though I used fresh gold-toner before fixing. I used BromoPrint paper which is non super glossy (matt?). The toner showed very little effect unlike prints on Arches Platine where color tends towards purplish black. I think I'll next try a glossy paper to see if it works better especially with the toner.
    Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on the future results. It will be a couple weeks before I can get to testing. Exams come first.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin