Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,909   Posts: 1,584,659   Online: 839

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Glycerin Development for Contrast Control

So I found a copy of Keepers of Light, and started reading and came across the section on glycerin development of platinum/palladium prints for contrast control. Know I have seen a couple of other reference along the same lines, but was wondering how many plt/pld printers here actually use this form of development and what type of success you have?

Would love to hear any hints, problems etc. or if there are better ways today and that is why it is not mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

ps - Oh, almost forgot what impact does this form of development have on gum-overs?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post
    So I found a copy of Keepers of Light, and started reading and came across the section on glycerin development of platinum/palladium prints for contrast control. Know I have seen a couple of other reference along the same lines, but was wondering how many plt/pld printers here actually use this form of development and what type of success you have?

Would love to hear any hints, problems etc. or if there are better ways today and that is why it is not mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

ps - Oh, almost forgot what impact does this form of development have on gum-overs?
    Mike,

I've experimented with glycerine development several times and I've not been able to see much of a difference, perhaps I'm not holding my mouth right. As far as gum overs go it doesn't have any effect as far as I can tell. The print looks and works the same as if you had developed it normally.

Perhaps someone else has had better luck with glycerine development.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank You Don, that is the sort of input I wanted to hear. Makes you wonder if there was something different with the glycerine then vs now. Or maybe just the difference in our process vs then.

Look forward to hearing from others.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post
    Thank You Don, that is the sort of input I wanted to hear. Makes you wonder if there was something different with the glycerine then vs now. Or maybe just the difference in our process vs then.

Look forward to hearing from others.
    Mike,

Have you given brush development a try? Don't let me discourage you if you haven't. It's kind of an interesting process. Of course you could try developer with different concentrations of dichromate brushed in different areas for local contrast control.

As I said I'm not sure my results are indicative of what's possible.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don, have not tried brush development but will consider it. I do have a print in mind to play with, after I get a few things over with in the next couple of weeks. Plan to try the glycerin development and will give brush development a go as well.

My comment may not have come across correctly, what I meant was hoping that anyone that had tried the process would share their thoughts and insite. Don't know if your results were typical or not but at least I know you gave the process a go. Once I have given this a go, will post something either way.

Thanks again Don for the input...good as always.
    Mike C

Rambles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin