Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,662   Online: 728

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Copperplate Etching with Noble Fine Art [UK]

I attended a Photo Fest yesterday in Dublin, a trade show it was more of a digi fest than anything. But with one very notable exception in the form of Noble Fine Art.

Looking at their printing was a moment of unbridled joy which I feel obliged to share with the apug community. I'm sure many of our UK friends know about Noble already but perhaps some don't.

We spoke to David Noble who does the etching himself, explained in detail the analog process and the controls his clients have over the process. His enthusiasm was infectious.

"We etch the image into a copper plate using a salt which reacts to etch a “tooth”, the ink is held in the tooth in varying depths creating the range of tone in the print. The plate is inked by hand and the excess removed, again by hand, and then placed against the paper and rolled through a press resembling a large clothes mangle. The plate is embossed into the paper transferring the image"

The prints were absolutely stunning. The usual limits of the internet will render their website woefully inadequate for showing the quality of these prints, however please check them out here http://www.noblefineart.co.uk/etchings.html

Noble also do workshops for photographers wishing to learn about printmaking.

Being a photographer himself, we've asked David to join APUG, hopefully he will soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can only agree with what Fintan has said.

With all the computers, digi cameras and inkjet printers on show, it was like finding hidden treasure when we came upon David Noble's stand.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin