Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,523   Posts: 1,543,813   Online: 784

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Another Gum-Over Question

for all you folks that do gumover plt/pld. When making prints with a black border all the way around, I don't have any issue with the gum layer showing (it is more or less hidden by that black border). But on the occasionaly print where I mask (crop) the negative and have only white space how do you get those gum layers down without a bit of the gum layer showing?

Have one print that I worked on, and looks OK, but it seems that a very little bit of the gum layer found its way under the tape (paper texture allowed a bit of bleed I think) and the gum shows more like a rought edge than a nice smooth one. Was using the blue (quick release) painters tape to mask. Aside from cutting the negative to size, are there any other tricks you folks could share?

Thanks,
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Mike,

If I get some under the mask, I cover it with a piece of Rubylith when I expose, and it for all intents disappears in the wash. Did you do that?

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael,

Good question, and no I did not. That seems simple enough, since I have both Rubylith sheet and tape. To be honest, did not notice it until after I had exposed the gum layer. What you suggest makes perfect sense though.

Thanks,
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Mike,

OK, try that and I'm sure that unless you are having staining problems, it'll work for you.

---Michael
    www.mutmansky.com
    B&W photography in Silver, Palladium, and gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again Michael, can not believe I did not think about that.
    Mike C

Rambles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin