Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,057   Online: 926

Shooter
    Pinhole

recycled silver nitrate

My old PC died. I had saved some links for silver salts for doing Argyrotype & VDB someday.

I had found a place that had silver nitrate recycled from photographic processes. They said it was less pure than reagent grade but good for many processes.

The price was great. I vaguely remember something like $60 for 125 grams.

I can't find it now.

With all the variables that have an effect on results like paper and humidity, can anyone comment on probability of success with less than reagent grade?

Has anyone else pursued such a source?

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think a small amount of impurities is irrelevant if you use processes taht do not use a developer. That is, pretty much anything but silver gelatin, wet collodiom plates, calotype and maybe dag. Maybe dag is safe.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I just bought 50 grams for 20 bucks of ACS Reagent grade on eBay. There seem to be a lot of sellers with deals close to this. Also, the website http://silvernitrate.org/ sells for $1 a gram (or even less in quantity).
    Neal

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks Ryuji and Wilsonneal. The name of that supplier is easy to remember too.

Ryuji, that black paint I sent you is probably hardened now. Apparently it begins to cure as soon as air gets in. Now I know why there is a shelf life.

Murray
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin