Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,511   Online: 786

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Van Dyke troubles

I've just started doing some Van Dyke prints, and I'm having all kinds of problems. The most annoying is that in the shadows, I don't get a deep rich brown -- I get this shimmering metallic silver. It appears in the darkest border areas during exposure, and then throughout the print once it has dried.
    Paul

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Its solarization from overexposure in printing. Back off on the exposure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Brook.

I have some fairly dense negatives that have required very long exposures to get any highlight detail (including one 8-hour exposure under four blacklight bulbs). I'm just not sure how to expose long enough to get a detailed print, yet avoid this effect.
    Paul

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I had the same kind of problems when I was using really dense negs I thought I needed for azo. I had to abandon some of these negs when I realized I would never get good prints out of them. If the solarization is not too extreme, palladium toning can reverse some of the solarization, but here I would mask the negs so as not to waste a lot of expensive toner on the borders.

Depending on what paper you use, double coating may help. I setteled on Arches Platine just to avoid a variable.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPablo View Post
    Thanks, Brook.

I have some fairly dense negatives that have required very long exposures to get any highlight detail (including one 8-hour exposure under four blacklight bulbs). I'm just not sure how to expose long enough to get a detailed print, yet avoid this effect.
    There is really nothing you can do to prevent solarization in VDB with this type of negative. As mentioned, toning with palladium ir platinum may reverse, at least partially so, the solarization. You could also reduce the negatives.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a cross, hammer, and nails, but have you considered making digital negs with curve corrections applied? There's sticking to form and there's actually making the image you want...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Solarisation can also happen if you overcoat the paper.. had that on some of my few first prints when I was experimented with double coating.

And you can reverse some of the effect with just a quick dunk into a very, very, VERY weak selenium.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Van Dyke trouble

Hi,

At lot of useful info at unblinkingeye.

link: http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Ferric/ferric.html

Good luck,

/Clay

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
    I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a cross, hammer, and nails, but have you considered making digital negs with curve corrections applied? There's sticking to form and there's actually making the image you want...

Good idea! In the real world I might have suggested the same.

But to avoid certain crucification for these thoughts you should take them to the hybrid forum. http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had impure thoughts, I have--this is just so hard for me to say--SCANNED my film... am I beyond redemption?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin