Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,632   Posts: 1,648,043   Online: 789

Thread: VDB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

VDB

I`m about to make an order from B&S to try some VDB , but want some input on what I`m ordering, as I`m totally new to this.

So far in my shopping cart I have:

A premixed VDP-kit
    Puddle Pusher coating rod (I can use the 8x10 rod for 4x5 and 5x7, right?)
    100 sheets of 8x10 Cranes Kid paper.

Anything else I need to get started? Any additional chemistry to control contrast etc...?

I have a contact printng frame.
    Amund

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    you might also try the new weston paper, the dmax is terrific for VDB, at least in our environment.

what about the chemicals for toning? selenium and/or gold

also potassium dichromate for contrast control. a 10% solution .

a few drops in the first bath can help with contrast, but is not the same having the contrast controled with the negative.

am sure others will agree or disagree with the above suggestions.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If the chemistry mix starts getting "tired", a few drops of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide can extend its life and get the contrast back to what it was - without using Chromates or other toxic chemicals which are difficult to buy in Norway.

A cheap cooking brush ( 5 for NOK 10) is my favorite way of spreading the chemicals. Discard when it gives uneven coating - I'm on my third brush now. I'll have to buy another pack next year, if I can find it...

Your puddle pusher is longer than I would prefer for 4x5" and 5x7" prints - and for 8x10" paper.

Sodium thiosulfate for fixing.

Ammonium thiosulfate, or very very dilute rapid fix for clearing highlights.

Tetenal gold toner is good, and lasts a long time. If you want to gold tone - it's not strictly necessary. KRST (IMO) is worse than useless at the extremely low concentrations needed - unless you want the print bleached at the same time as toning. I know others swear by it, so far I have only sworn at it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ann and Ole. I`ll order the basic kit and try to find some gold toner then. Sounds like a easy and safe start. And buy the 5x7 Puddle Pusher and some brushes and see what I like...
    Amund

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I found a good article here with lots of good advice. Nice looking prints, without that flat "alt-process look" that I personally dislike.
    Last edited by Amund; 05-16-2007 at 05:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Amund

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    sorry i didn't recommend that article, glad you found it as it has lots of good info.

we use the gold toner mentioned in that article.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've never used a puddle pusher but have used a glass stirring rod in the past.
    I prefer a flat watercolor brush. I use a 3/4" brush for 4x5's. Just dampen the the brush with water, 'flick' it off and go. I've much better results for some reason (no specs, scratching/scraping, nice even coverage).
    It's not a Richeson magic brush, it's a a $6 cheapie.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin