Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,929   Posts: 1,585,301   Online: 1097

Shooter
    4x5 Format

semi glossy Pt/Pd prints

As many here would agree Pt/Pd prints and kallitypes loose some of the magic when dry down. I think it is partially due to the matt finish. I recall David Michael Kennedy's prints which were not exactly matt, more semi-glossy. Any idea how does he achieve this sort of finish?

Jan

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hydrocote Polyshield

Hi Jan,

One option would be applying Hydrocote Polyshield Clear Gloss or Satin polyurethane wood finish to the paper. You can use a brush or a wire wound coating rod to apply it + you can use it undiluted or diluted with water. It protects the surface very very effectively therefore it may be a good choice for exhibition prints. (Because you can exhibit prints w/o glass since you can wipe the surface with a damp cloth if it gets dusty / dirty -> the coating is absolutely impervious...)

I gain around log 0.4 dmax with the Satin version.

Below there's the description of the product:
    "...The supreme finish of all, short of polyester. A super tough, super hard, non-yellowing polyurethane that is UV stable to meet the most demanding wood surface protection, interior and exterior. ... Highly versatile - apply by brush, spray or wipe on. Self-sealing (for exterior application), or seal with our Clear Wood Sealer (for interior application), if so desired..."

I must admit that I like better the matte surface of my alt. prints; S/G is a better option if you absolutely need high dmax. A glossy Pd print doesn't look right to my eyes. Each to his/her own...

Regards,
    Loris.

edit: If you experience compression in shadow tones after drydown then you probably should recalibrate your negative making -> so that shadow tones are pushed to the straight line portion (instead of remaining in the toe) of the negative's characteristic curve.
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 05-17-2007 at 03:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: adding a final comment

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've been experimenting with Kallitypes on photo paper. I could not get a decent coating on high-gloss paper; but have had better results with Bromoprint paper which is a non-super gloss (matte finish). Add a drop of Tween to the sensitizer. Solarization can be controlled thru increasing the ratio of silver nitrate to ferric oxalate (eg, 2:1). Would think pt/pl could also be applied to such papers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Craig Koshyk has a short booklet with methods for printing pt./pd on baryta papers, which gives more Dmax and gloss, depending on what surface you use. I believe there is a.pdf file of this booklet for sale. Contact him at info@craigkoshyk.ca

Sandy King

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jan,

DMK's prints may have been waxed with a product like this.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have good results waxing prints with purified white beeswax dissolved in lavender oil. While I wouldn't call the treated prints glossy, beeswax certainly makes the blacks deeper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thank you. I was also looking at Edward Weston's platinum prints the other day and noticed the same or similar kind of finish.

Jan

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin