Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,861   Posts: 1,583,172   Online: 733

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Carl, Socorro is sold by B&S with an "advanced platinum" admonishion. I did not know advanced platinum meant crap right out of the box, now I know. Thanks to you and Clay I have a few recommendations which I will follow.

BTW I cannot find the thread that had the phone number for Stephen Kinsella, could you please post it again?

Never mind Carl, I found their web site. For anybody interested

http://www.kinsellaartpapers.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About Socorro. The rumor is that this is the same as Van Gelder Simili Japon, without the annoying watermark. If you really like the super warm tones with this paper, try COT 320 dipped in 5% oxalic and developed in potassium oxalate at a temperature greater than 110 degrees.

Clay
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Large Format
    Carl could you please tell me a little about the differences between folio and Lenox 100, I presume both are hot pressed. The catalog at SK does not mention this. If I call them and tell them I want lenox 100 the one Carl Weese uses, would they know what I am talking about?

Jorge,

Lenox and Folio are very similar--so much I wonder if they come from the same mill. Lenox is a natural white, similar to Cranes Cover Natural white, while Folio is whiter, though not as bright as paper with brighteners like Cranes flourescent white. They are nearly identical in speed and contrast with a given Pt/Pd mixture. The Folio is a little bit flimsier when wet while the Lenox is a bit stiffer and more robust, though they are the same "weight." Both handle easily. Lenox 100 is a standard sheet sold at Daniel Smith and other vendors as well, though I don't think I've seen Folio offered anywhere but Kinsella. The slight difference in base color can have a noticeable affect on some pictures. I like them both and keep them both in stock.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you Carl, I checked the Kinsella site and their prices are great, I will try both papers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Nov 30 2002, 07:33 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Hi Carl, Socorro is sold by B&amp;S with an &quot;advanced platinum&quot; admonishion. I did not know advanced platinum meant crap right out of the box, now I know.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    Jorge,

No, no&#33; Socorro Platinum is not crap if you treat it right. In fact, it gives some of the most beautiful smooth, warm golden brown tones of any paper I&#39;ve printed on (which is a very long list&#33

From your description, your neg is much too low in contrast to make a good platinum print on just about any paper. You need to lose the ferric no. 2 ENTIRELY and some or all of the platinum. Socorro is, in fact, an alternate name for Van Gelder Simili Japon as Clay suggested. I get the best results on this paper by double-coating with 2 relatively light coats because the paper is not very absorbent as it comes from the factory.

With the right neg and very warm (~150 degrees) potassium oxalate and double-coated with straight palladium or just a bit of platinum, you should get very smooth tones throughout the scale and a beautiful, beautiful warm color.

Good luck,
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, darnit.....about the only thing I did not try was double coating.......I will give it a shot, with a more contrasty negative. Thanks Kerik&#33;

Shooter
    Large Format
    Kerik, thank you, thank you, thank you&#33; that double coating technique worked great, as an additional observation I tried it twice, the second time I added contrasting agent to the second coating and it also worked great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jorge @ Dec 9 2002, 07:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Kerik, thank you, thank you, thank you&#33; that double coating technique worked great, as an additional observation I tried it twice, the second time I added contrasting agent to the second coating and it also worked great.</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    Jorge,

Glad to year that worked for you. It really is a nice paper...

Kerik
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Carl:

I tried Lenox 100 with Zia and can NOT get that paper to work. I have nice, repeatable results with Cranes, but Lenox 100 seems to drink up the emulsion. Thoughts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin