Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,169   Online: 1074

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks, i would have missed this without your help.

I picked up a couple of soft form rollers in our local hardward store, it is goinng to be interesting to see what happens.

the information about the consistency of the ink is helpful.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quite by coincidence the AP nes letter contains an article on the Bromoil process.

http://www.alternativephotography.co...s_bromoil.html
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks Dave;
    Definitely will bookmark that location .

I am up todate with the information provided. My questions involves the ink itself. Much of the research indicates the need to thicken with beeswax, or to thin with oil. When how how is the delicate question.

THis seems to be a much more popular technique across the "pond".

George Laughter has some interesting stuff and does some workshops in the USA, but so far I have not heard from him regarding his teaching schedule. Also David Lewis is doing a workshop this fall at the Formulary, but other than that we are just experimenting with the research that can be found on the internet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    As I said the other day the ink I’ve seen used is very thick, almost solid. It took quite a lot of effort to prise the little piece required out of the tin and on to the inking tile. Several minutes were then required to spread the ink on the tile. When I tried Bromoil work a few years ago I was given ordinary printers ink that was far to soft, and it proved impossible to work with it. As Dave says in his article the type of fixer used is of importance. I think if you contact some of the people listed on the Bromoil web site who live in your part of the world, then they may give you a trustworthy supplier who can sell you the correct product. Good luck, may we look forward to seeing some of your work displayed here?
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The fixer needs to be a 10% solution of pure hypo; especially for the second bath )after the bleaching process.

Mixed the bleach this morning and will begin making some prints.

Will probably gather a group before inking. Can go ahead and make the matrix's and then begin the most important section. laying down the ink.

As I am a computer dumby, I don't have a clue how to post any prints, let alone the bromoils. Perhaps by the time i have some ready i can get some help from some of my students. I did get a scanner for myself (a christmas present), but i haven't used it but once. So that will be a new adventure.

Appreciate all the help. Reading articles is one thing, talking withsome who has seen or attempted a process always works better for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ann, know this is a little late, but when I read your post it made me think about a site I had seen before.. http://www.etheisen.com/articles.html ..you probably know it as well, but I found it nice to see, at least in pictures how the process was done. Having never tried it, found it interesting. How has yours turned out...do we get to see?
    Mike C

Rambles

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks for the site. only need the get the ink and make some prints and i will be off and running.

If i can figure out how to scan something and get it on this site i will post something. It is probably going to be into May before I have anything as it will take until the end of the week or the beginning of the next for the ink to arrive. Am going to try several different papers and just be playful with no investment in the outcome.

I have some preliminary notes on bromoil at http://unblinkingeye.com/AAPG/Bromoil/bromoil.html I also have some scans of bromoils I have completed at http://www.unblinkingeye.com/Photogr...ebbrom010.html Email me if you get stuck: edbuffaloe@unblinkingeye.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks ed;
    i have gone over your information on unblinkingeye. I have collected all the materials, now for the printing. Have several different papers; Agfa 118, Charcoal X, some ILford matt (fiber) next time i place and order with J&C i might get some bromoil paper.

I appreciate the offer for help and will not hesiate to take you up on your offer. My biggest concern is the ink. Getting it to the right consistency seems to be an issue with some. Just going to jump in and give it a go as i really like the effect.

I like the VanSon ink that you can get from offset litho supply stores. Get their rubber based ink. But there are plenty of other inks to use too. You should order some Canada balsam (from Artcraft) to get more tack--it effectively hardens, but also makes the ink more sticky. The main thing to remember is to start with hard ink and soften it as necessary. But the way I usually mix, I get some soft first, then tack it up with the balsam. Once you get the soak time right, you can apply hard ink, then resoak and apply slightly softer ink, and you can use a brush charged with hard ink to remove soft ink in the high values.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin