Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,675   Online: 1172

Shooter
    35mm

Book on tricolor carbon/carbo

Hi,

Does anyone know of a book on tricolor carbon/carbo? I know this is a difficult process, but I would like to read about it more for personal knowledge. Then, perhaps in the future, I'll make a go of it.

Kind Regards,
    Martin

(yes, that was suppose to be "on" as rather than "no")

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post

Sorted

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know of a book on tricolor carbon/carbo? I know this is a difficult process, but I would like to read about it more for personal knowledge. Then, perhaps in the future, I'll make a go of it.

Kind Regards,
    Martin

The best book on tricolor carbro/carbon IMO is Amateur Carbro Colour Prints by Viscount Hanworth, published by the Focal Press. Not sure how long it was published, but I have the 3rd edition published in 1955.

You can also find a very good description of the tricolor carbon/carbro process in some of the early editions of D.A. Spencer's Colour Photograhy in Practice. My 3rd edition, published in 1948, has a very good illustrated chapter on color carbon and carbro, and also on some related pigment type processes such as Autotype wet carbon, Belcolor, Dufaytissue and Duxochrome.

I have written an article for Silvershotz on color carbon and carbro that will be illustrated with the work of some contemporary masters of the process, including Tod Gangler, John Bentley, Hans and Chia and Gerard Aniere. I think it will be out in two or three months.

Sandy King
    Last edited by sanking; 06-24-2007 at 06:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Martin, take a look at 'Keepers of Light'. It is out of print, but covers many alt process - including the tricolor carbron. You might also contact Sandy, I know he has some beautifull carbon prints, just not sure if he has worked with color or not. He is a great guy and bet that he will respond here or a PM.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc View Post
    You might also contact Sandy, I know he has some beautifull carbon prints, just not sure if he has worked with color or not.
    I actually started printing with color carbro rather than monochrome, and two of my color images may be included in the upcoming Silvershotz article. However, I have not made any color carbon or carbro prints since the mid-1990s and what I did back then dooes not come close to the quality of follks like Tod Gangler and John Bentlety.

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 06-24-2007 at 06:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Sandy
    keep me updated on the release of the article.
    Todd and Johns prints are very good as you point out.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The best book on tricolor carbro/carbon IMO is Amateur Carbro Colour Prints by Viscount Hanworth, published by the Focal Press. Not sure how long it was published, but I have the 3rd edition published in 1955.

You can also find a very good description of the tricolor carbon/carbro process in some of the early editions of D.A. Spencer's Colour Photograhy in Practice. My 3rd edition, published in 1948, has a very good illustrated chapeter on color carbon and carbro, and also on some related pigment type processes such as Autotype wet carbon, Belcolor, Dufaytissue and Duxochrome.

I have written an article for Silvershotz on color carbon and carbro that will be illustrated with the work of some contemporary masters of the process, including Tod Gangler, John Bentley, Hans and Chia and Gerard Aniere. I think it will be out in two or three months.

Sandy King

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll search for a copy of those older texts and also Sandy's article. I rather enjoy Silvershotz, except I wish they would put a PDF version online because the international shipping kills.

Thanks,
    Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin