Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,959   Posts: 1,558,213   Online: 1176

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IIRC, one is and one is not. But this is a matter of degree, again IIRC.

It has been since about 1970 since I saw any of this in practice. There are loads of EK patents on this in that era.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for all the excellent info thus far from everyone. Honestly I didn't expect so many responses. The idea came about because I was reading about the different metal salts used for Alt printing and wondered if titanium had something to offer. Then came across the pigment. Thus, I thought it might be fun to play around with.

-Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format

pigments and photosensitivity

Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post
    Thanks for all the excellent info thus far from everyone. Honestly I didn't expect so many responses. The idea came about because I was reading about the different metal salts used for Alt printing and wondered if titanium had something to offer. Then came across the pigment. Thus, I thought it might be fun to play around with.

-Martin
    suggest that you get with a good comercial custom silk screen shop and find out what does and doesnt work

years ago when i was a photomechanical artist in the nyc adv biz i worked with AGA-Afordable Grafics Associates, run by a 6 ft 6 in latvian by the name of Ugis -if you can find him you will get your questions answered

i worked in the boston adv biz and worked for Identicolor-multiple sensitised layers each custom colored and built up one on top of the other on a transfer sheet so that they could be rubbed down on to the mocked up packageing used in a presentation-lets say coumbo yogurt-so you do 6 different color versions of the same design

i can tell you that each pigment can increase or decrease the sensitivilty of an emulsion and that each different vendors version of a standard pigment is different

these are uncharted waters and you must do this for yourself and find out what works with what you got-and the next time you re up all your times and proportions will change

buena suerte
    y
    vaya con dios

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For the purpose of oxidation chemistry, there's a lot of recent literature on using anatase thin films/nanoparticles sensitized with catecholates chemisorbed to defect (5-coordinate) sites on the surface. These are UV sensitive, and maybe you could use this trait to essentially bleach out the pigment where the negative is transparent. This is being used to make self-cleaning windows, amongst other apps.

If you have access to an academic library, I'd start with the ACS journals such as J. Phys. Chem. This reflects my bias (chemist), as I find the physics journals hard to read and a little too abstract. Look up articles in the last 2-3 years by Larry Curtiss for a start.
    Last edited by fparnold; 07-16-2007 at 07:29 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Wrong Journal. J. Chem. Phys. is from AIP, not ACS

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jeremy,

Here's a link to a gum bichromate print experiment I did on Arches Cover Black a few years ago. IIRC the print was made with a layer of titanium white pigmented gum followed by a layer pigmented with DS Interference Blue. I uploaded it to the hybridphoto.com site since it was printed from an inkjet negative.

Joe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin