Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,105   Online: 1130

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Titanium dioxide pigment sensitizing?

Hi,

Would anyone happen to know a method of sensitizing titanium dioxide pigment and processing it?

This is only a thought and I'm looking to get some input with it. I figured maybe it could be used as another method of making b&w prints.

Thanks,
    Martin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by menglert View Post
    Hi,

Would anyone happen to know a method of sensitizing titanium dioxide pigment and processing it?

This is only a thought and I'm looking to get some input with it. I figured maybe it could be used as another method of making b&w prints.

Thanks,
    Martin
    Add a little gum arabic to it and sensitive it with ammonium or potassium dichromate (in other words, make a gum print from it). But you'd have to print it on black paper and use a positive to print it with rather than a negative, if you're going to make a black and white print with it.
    Katharine

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info. I may be looking into this.

-Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on whether it is Rutile or Anatase IIRC, but TiO2 can be made light sensitive and can accept pigmented images. Many years ago, Kodak and others made color images from TiO2 by transferring the pigments to an exposed, charged surface.

Internally, it was called Electrocolor. I cannot remember a single thing about how it worked though.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    From the sources available to me (the best source would be Color Index International, but it's not available to me online since I'm not willing to pay the subscription fee) it seems that the titanium dioxide pigment that I assume Martin is talking about, Titanium White (PW6), is Rutile. I'm curious how that changes anything.

Like any other pigment, Titanium White can be added to dichromated gum arabic (and for all I know to dichromated gelatin as well, since I notice in another thread Martin is asking about carbon and carbro processes) to express a photographic image, but since it's white, it's not much good on white paper. Some gum printers print it on black paper, through a film positive, but the effect is nothing like the usual black and white photo.

I'm curious what prompted the question in the first place?
    kt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    TiO2 is light sensitive itself and can form an image through electrostaic charge and light exposure. IDK the details, but I have seen some beautiful full color images made this way.

PE

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So you mean not only white on black in contrast to black on white Xerogaphy, but also without using a charged light-sensitive drum etc., but using the light-dependend chargibility of the pigments?

I got some literature on electrophotography. Shall look it up the next days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Katharine Thayer View Post
    Some gum printers print it on black paper, through a film positive, but the effect is nothing like the usual black and white photo.

I'm curious what prompted the question in the first place?
    kt
    Katharine,

Any suggestions on a black paper to print on? I've been curious about printing positive white images these last few months.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Katharine,

Any suggestions on a black paper to print on? I've been curious about printing positive white images these last few months.
    Hi Jeremy,
    The only paper I've actually tried is Arches Cover Black, which works okay if you size it well (I sized it with acrylic medium) but I didn't like the coarse texture of it, so I was working on finding a smoother paper, before I got busy with some other project and never got back to it.

At first I tried coloring regular hot-press watercolor paper black with black ink, but that didn't work at all. If the ink was really waterproof, then it made a slick rubbery surface that the gum wouldn't stick to, and if it wasn't really waterproof, then it came off when I started coating the gum emulsion onto it.

Then someone suggested Stonehenge paper which comes in black, and I ordered a couple of sheets but have never got around to trying it. That's the paper I'd suggest starting with. Even though I've not used the black myself, I have printed gum on white Stonehenge, and found it a good enough paper for gum. It's $1.87 a sheet in the Daniel Smith catalog, look under Rising Stonehenge. Good luck, and sorry for such a long answer to such a short question,
    Katharine

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    TiO2 is light sensitive itself and can form an image through electrostaic charge and light exposure. IDK the details, but I have seen some beautiful full color images made this way.

PE
    PE,
    Are you saying that both Rutile and Anatase are photosensitive, or is this the quality that depends on which form it is?
    kt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin