Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,654   Posts: 1,668,862   Online: 832

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fish gelatin can be used, I believe.

There is a company that sells it for use in photographic purposes. It will not chill set and therefore has not been used in main stream photo products.

PE

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    the agar plates i coated in lab were made from sheep blood, i didn't know
    they made them from sea weeds too...
    snip...
    john
    Hello John,

You are probably thinking of blood-agar plates for microbiological cultures. If the test requires mammalian blood, sheep's blood is often the source. The agar part is an un-branched polysaccharide derived from seaweed IIRC. I also seem to remember that the medium didn't smell that great - especially when the used Petri dishes were autoclaved for reuse.

There was some discussion of "dichromated non-gum-arabic substances" on the alt-photo-process list in the past.

Agar-agar is mentioned here:

http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-...jul02/0243.htm

If you search the alt-photo-process archive you will find some discussion of various "dichromated colloids" which do not use gum arabic.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Hey John... I see you are in France you lucky dog!!... I'm still at the beach.

My weed trip....

From time to time I have been photographing the 'illuminated sea'... ( read that as... I stick my arm under the surface and blast off my Nikonos on the B setting... serendipity at it's finest!). You may recall my adventures with the arbutus tree and developing the images in the tannins derived from the subject... this is the same thing but with the ocean (rather like making a sculpture of Adam out of clay...the technology mirroring the metaphorical essence of the work!!!)

Anyway... after many observations of beach-cast weeds I have stumbled on a few that have made super coatings for my alt prints. The criteria for selection is quite simple... when you see them dried on the beach you grab the shiny ones... they are easily rehydrated and the 'gelatins' exctracted... don't do this by boiling or the gel will take up the color of the seaweed... magenta, brown, green. I have a coating that I am using now that has a nice gloss... think of the lickey bit on an envelope.

It is also interesting that conservators are starting to use fucoids (these gels are pure and clear) for restoration of art pieces where paint is flaking... they are archival and under simulated time testing they do not yellow.

Clarence... thanks for the link... it has me thinking about the possibility of a new gum-over.

Cheers all... Annie

Shooter
    Multi Format

cold setting of fish gelatines

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Fish gelatin can be used, I believe.

There is a company that sells it for use in photographic purposes. It will not chill set and therefore has not been used in main stream photo products.

PE
    pe-i have seen fish gelatine cold set in the food prep trade-depends on the fish-this can be an intended and desirable end product-it can be a frustrating and undesireable consequence in cebeche fish prep

agar as a size was in use back in the day, and is in use right now in some processes, i was surprized to find out recently

the successful ongoing use of culinary gelatine, in some cases supermarket knox, by holo plate makers gives 'food for thought'

vaya con dios

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin