Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,681   Online: 805

Images

I don't know what to call it?

is ther a wet plate process that produces a positive image, or soething that you can turn into a positive image?

I seem to remember a cowboy photographer doing it but can't for the life of me what the process was called.

And where do i learn more about it?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ambrotype. Check out some of the alt-process links. The book Coming Into Focus edited by John Barnier has a chapter on it. Also, I think Keepers of Light by Crawford had some info on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robb Kendrick doing tintype?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wet Plate Collodion. Here a couple of places to start:

www.collodion.com
    www.collodion.org
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Images
    Kerik,

Is it possible to do any of this without a darkroom?

Are the chemicals way toxic? I have two little ones.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I remember an article about this in Black and white photography a while ago, the photographer was a woman who went round the cattle ranches in the states and made these wetplates in a huge box camera. I seem to recall that they were tin-types. I could be wrong but, i will try to find the magazine to check.

I remember them being fantastic images!

take care

pedro

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Kerik,

Is it possible to do any of this without a darkroom?

Are the chemicals way toxic? I have two little ones.
    The wetplate process utilizes ether and collodion (guncotton dissolved in ether and grain alcohol) which are extremely flammable with explosive fumes and byproducts. Some hardcore wetplaters also use potassium cyanide for the fixer although plain hypo can be used for that purpose. The cyanide is lethal if mishandled. There are some other nasties as well but these are the most dangerous. Not like working with X-Tol...

And you do need some sort of darkroom. Here's what I use:

my collodion darktent

my collodion darkbox

"Now I got my Magic Bus"

Joe

Images
    Thanks Joe. Those are pretty cool.

Looks like an involved process though.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin