Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,816   Online: 851

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Glass plates

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jdef @ Jan 19 2003, 02:03 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Jorge, in one of the formulae I found the total emulsion quantity comes to 2000g, what&#39;s your best guess as to the area that would coat (on glass)?-jdf </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Well, 2000 grams depending on the density could mean 1 liter or 2 liters. Assuming you end up with about 1 to 1.5 liters of solution and you coat 8x10 pates, at 2ml per plate I would say about 500 plates minimum. LOL.....I would pare down the quantities before you make that much, unless you really want to spend the rest of your life coating plates and not taking pictures.

OTOH from what I have read the coating porcedure is less than efficient, so maybe you use more, but still you would end up with 100s of plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You may also want to consider cyanotyping a few just to see what you get. I love the old cyanotypes myself. I think part of the appeal for me is the fact that they were very common, but are now sort of ignored by many in favor of the more "realistic" tintypes and daguerrotypes.

But it might be fun to do a few prints from these plates.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You might read this if you are interested in making emulsions:

http://rmp.opusis.com/documents/photoemuls...toemulsions.htm

~~Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cyanotypes might look great. Also, Van Dykes or sepias might be good, to get the "old timey" look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they are cheap enough, try it. Just don&#39;t get pulled into a bidding war. Set YOUR price and stick to it.

Ryuji Suzuki and Terry Holsinger are both working on making their own glass plates. I have seen photographs taken by Terry on glass plates hand coated with a bromide emulsion that he mixed himself. Terry is a member of the Austin Alternative Process Group.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin